mpeg2/DVD questions
Hi I'm a confused new user, I have a raspberry PI 2B 1Gb and got a micro SD card (8gb class 10 Kingston) supposedly with open ELEC and KODI installed, it hung up with the coloured square on screen. I went to the Pi site and downloaded noobs, I then installed KODI and open ELEC but not raspbian. this seems to run but I have some questions, firstly do I need the mpeg codec to run ISO images made with any DVD and clone DVD? if so how would I get to the command line to put them in? I tried XBMC years back when the first Raspberry Pi came out and there was something in the settings that let me put it in via XBMC, is that still an option if so where do I find it? To buy the codec (if I need it) I need the embedded serial number from the card, as it boots straight into KODI I can't see how to get back to the command line to find it. Have I installed all I need to have a fully working open ELEC and KODI system or do I need to reformat and start again, if so what programs do I need to install, I'm running Windows & on my PC and want to use the Pi as a media centre on my TV streaming DVDs (ISO format), photos and music MP3 format all from my NAS.
Lastly is there an "ideal" format for my backed up films, I'm not interested in anything but the main movie, do I need to preserve the menus (an option in clone DVD) etc. What would be the most reliable settings in Clone DVD?
I feel confused about some of your questions.
OpenELEC includes kodi.
Whether you need the mpeg2 codec depends on what encoding your video content uses -
DVD will often use DIVX or similar.
The RPi code is,perhaps,on the system summary info.
The players for kodi still have dvd menu problems.
All you need for a full system is OpenELEC or OSMC, as they each include kodi,
or you could use NOOBS and boot into either.
HTH
Derek
Rubbish DVD uses mpeg2 not divx (which is mpeg-4).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My mistake - must have been thinking about something else.
Derek
To find out your Pi / Pi 2 serial number, if you aren't comfortable with SSH (which allows you to remotely log in to your Pi from a PC running Mac, Windows or Linux etc.), and are running OpenElec, then go to :

SYSTEM->System Info->Hardware and you will see your Pi/Pi 2 serial number displayed. This will allow you to purchase the MPEG2 and/or VC-1 licence key from the Raspberry Pi store. Note it can take a day or so for your keys to arrive by e-mail.

I don't think you can enter the licence keys via OpenElec, so if you aren't happy with SSH, then power down the Pi / Pi 2, remove the MicroSD card, and use a PC with a card reader to edit the config.txt file on the card to add the licence keys there. (Make sure you don't put a # before the key as that will tell the Pi / Pi 2 to ignore that entry)

More details here : http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config...Another_PC

It IS worth getting to grips with SSH though - as it makes life a lot easier when doing other things. Default login on OpenElec is root and default password is openelec

If you are watching DVDs that haven't been converted to another codec then the MPEG2 licence is pretty much vital.
I think Pi 2 can handle SD MPEG2 using software/CPU decoding, but the MPEG2 license is only a few bucks to enable hardware decoding. I would just try it without the hardware decoder and see if software decoding can handle the videos you have.

I think you can ssh into the Pi when you are using OpenELEC to get the SN. There's a bunch of guides floating around about how to do it. You can even just throw another SD card on there and look it up using Raspbian if you wanted to, because the SN will always be the same.

You don't need to reformat anything. Adding the hardware decoding key is just a small edit to a text file. You can pull the SD card out of the Pi and stick it in any computer, and you'll see some drives. One of them has a file called config.txt, and you add the key to that.
(2015-07-19, 10:58)Ned Scott Wrote: I think Pi 2 can handle SD MPEG2 using software/CPU decoding, but the MPEG2 license is only a few bucks to enable hardware decoding. I would just try it without the hardware decoder and see if software decoding can handle the videos you have.
It can software decode - but IME this isn't great. Aspect ratio handling and de-interlacing is definitely compromised compared to hardware decoding. (I did an install and forgot to enter my licence keys and was very frustrated... Then remembered I hadn't put my keys in)

Of course the OP can try software decoding before buying the licence - but in my experience, in the UK, watching DVDs and Live TV (SD TV here is mainly MPEG2, with a few H264 "SD on Freeview HD" channels the exceptions)
Ah, that's right, there are a large number of interlaced DVDs. God, I hate interlacing.
for backing up (rippin) my Dvd's without the menu (wich i don't car eof) i use Makemkv, you can select what audio languages and subtitles you want and it makes you and mkv, wich is working perfectly with kodi (openelec on my Rpi2)
Works with movies and tv shows.
Update - With the latest Raspberry Pi it seems like the codec is not needed as the processing is fast enough not to need hardware acceleration (so far) that is with ISO images of DVD movies. that's with stuff ripped (backed up) using any DVD and Clone DVD, Sill a few problems with menus but as the default seems to be play hitting enter gets to the movie, this I can rectify as I go. Network file system seems to be the best option to access files from my readyNas Duo2. And jpcolin mkv may be a good solution to ripping DVDs but I have 900+ movies already in ISO format and don't want to go through years of recoding!!

Any other observations I have I will post up. Thanks everyone for your valuable input.
Makemkv does not re-encode. It rips to mkv container, no change to the video or audio streams.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-03, 15:34)richmc Wrote: Update - With the latest Raspberry Pi it seems like the codec is not needed as the processing is fast enough not to need hardware acceleration (so far) that is with ISO images of DVD movies. that's with stuff ripped (backed up) using any DVD and Clone DVD, Sill a few problems with menus but as the default seems to be play hitting enter gets to the movie, this I can rectify as I go. Network file system seems to be the best option to access files from my readyNas Duo2. And jpcolin mkv may be a good solution to ripping DVDs but I have 900+ movies already in ISO format and don't want to go through years of recoding!!

Any other observations I have I will post up. Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

The Pi 2 will software decode MPEG2 BUT you won't get the same quality of deinterlacing, and in some cases the aspect ratio handling is also off. For the price of the MPEG2 licence, it is worth paying, particularly if you watch interlaced content.

By the way, MakeMKV doesn't re-encode or transcode DVD content, it just re-wraps the content into an MKV file, preserving the original MPEG2 video and AC3 or PCM audio streams that have been selected. It therefore runs very quickly and causes no quality loss.
OK I've got my CODEC now how do I get it into my raspberry Pi SD card? with the Pi connected to the TV I can't see how to get to a command line to edit the config.txt, and with the card in my PC's reader it only shows a small part of the card. Presumably it's hidden somehow. Is there a piece of software that I can run on my PC to allow me into the file?
SSH.

Also well documented:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config.txt
(2015-08-12, 22:05)nickr Wrote: SSH.

Also well documented:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config.txt

"Editing via Another PC

You can take you SD card out and put it in a Windows, Linux, or Mac computer and edit config.txt directly " (from the wiki you linked to)

As far as Windows is concerned, no you can't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mpeg2/DVD questions0