v15 GUI freeze when accessing EPG
Hi

I did notice Kodi GUI freezes a couple of days ago when I was still using Kodi Isengard RC2 on Windows.
This made me move to Kodibuntu as I was pretty sure for this being a graphic card issue.

Now I am using VNSI with VDR on Kodibuntu with Kodi Isengard RC2 and have the same issues - so it likely the same problem - and I can pin it down to accessing EPG:

When I access the EPG a couple of times within a session the GUI freezes up and Kodi justs "sits there" unresponsive.
In those cases the EPG is not shown, just either the last frame from watched video or the background from Kodi GUI if no video was playing.

Kodi does no EPG import in those moments. I cleared EPG data like 10 times, epg db file is short of 50MB.

Anyone else having this?

Would a "normal" log suffice for the beginning (copied the one yesterday) or should I get a debug log - the latter I could only do tonight

thx
do not store EPG in Kodi's db. Makes no sense because vdr has its own db.
(2015-07-20, 12:38)FernetMenta Wrote: do not store EPG in Kodi's db. Makes no sense because vdr has its own db.

Ok then I disable the option "store data locally" (or whatever it is called) and try again.
(2015-07-20, 12:38)FernetMenta Wrote: do not store EPG in Kodi's db. Makes no sense because vdr has its own db.

Ok I now have enabled: EPG -> "do not cache data locally", cleared settings and EPG data and it does not fix the problem.

I also have this issue in my Notebook running Windows, there its just not that easy to reproduce. I also changed back to the basic skin confluence, also to no avail.

Here are 2 debug logs:

https://anonfiles.com/file/5f49923be752e...9989fd80e7

https://anonfiles.com/file/57c99ba8d3d45...917a8c6a3a

..and a Crash-Log - has different time from 6-8 minutes later, but I decided to post it anyway, maybe it helps:

https://anonfiles.com/file/1d7f9eb148873...43633bc6be
And another one. This time a little different while switching to another channel via the EPG. GUI froze after selecting "umschalten".

https://anonfiles.com/file/e6a2612a27ed6...59d88faae3
It is quite a lot better with the older kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi_1.10.6-1 (used kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi-1.10.10-1 for the last couple of days)
Please post your logs at pastebin.com
(2015-07-20, 22:10)ichkriegediekri Wrote: It is quite a lot better with the older kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi_1.10.6-1 (used kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi-1.10.10-1 for the last couple of days)

Ok here you go:

Kodi log:
Link 1

Link 2

crash log:
Link 3
(2015-07-20, 22:10)ichkriegediekri Wrote: It is quite a lot better with the older kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi_1.10.6-1 (used kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi-1.10.10-1 for the last couple of days)

please elaborate. there is only a single version which is compatible with rc2
(2015-07-21, 08:42)FernetMenta Wrote:

please elaborate. there is only a single version which is compatible with rc2
My PPA is kodibuntu unstable which installs the RC2 and the vnsi plugin 1.10.10-1 - so I assume this is the compatible plugin version. With this plugin version I discovered the freezes.
For testing purposes I downgraded the plugin to 10.10.6-1 yesterday after i gathered the logs. With that older version I experience the same issues just not as frequent.
downgrading is not supported and may only work by chance for this particular step. there is almost no difference in bahavior between 1.10.6 and 1.10.10

Note the rc2 misses an important pvr fix
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/f32a...d644f58a05

without this one cpu core may hang in a loop and put high load on the cpu.

EDIT: maybe it is in and github just does not show. do you observe high cpu load?
I have to reproduce the error tonight and ssh into my box to check CPU load as the screen completely freezes including the debug overlay with CPU load - guessing from the fan noise yesterday I would say no.

What do you mean by "github does not show"?
(2015-07-21, 09:06)ichkriegediekri Wrote: What do you mean by "github does not show"?

when you click on a commit it normally shows the tags that do include it.

If the gui freezes this problem is in Kodi itself. An addon should not be able to block the render thread. Do the logs you posted include such a freeze? at what time?
(2015-07-21, 11:02)FernetMenta Wrote: when you click on a commit it normally shows the tags that do include it.

If the gui freezes this problem is in Kodi itself. An addon should not be able to block the render thread. Do the logs you posted include such a freeze? at what time?

I do not see any debug entry pointing to a renderer freeze, the log just ends with something related to PVR.

Should this be moved to "general" section?
(2015-07-21, 12:20)ichkriegediekri Wrote: I do not see any debug entry pointing to a renderer freeze, the log just ends with something related to PVR.

this is why I asked for a time. you could also press some button on the keyboard when that happens, then we can identify the section of interest in the log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUI freeze when accessing EPG0