v15 Green screen playing MKV's
I've noticed that with Kodi Isengard RC3 I've got a green screen when I start the playback of an MKV (h.264), with VDADecoder enabled. I don't know if it's expected behaviour, and shutting off VDADecoder "fixes" it, but I thought I should let you guys know. In Kodi 14.x this behaviour wasn't there.

Weird thing is that when the green screen shows, I hear the audio. If I skip forward using the arrow key, the picture changes from green to the normal video. When I then rewind to the beginning of the file, the playback is also fine.
  • OS X 10.10.4 (kernel: Darwin 14.4.0)
  • MacbookPro 15" mid 2010 - Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB
  • Kodi 15.0-RC3 Git:2015-07-19-94871ae
  • Skin Refocus 2.0.10

I see Kodi crashing btw when I quit the app. So I've also included the Apple crash log. Don't know if it has anything to do with it.

Crashlogs:

And to be sure I've made an animated gif to show the problem: http://www.gfycat.com/AridEasygoingBalloonfish

Thank you for investigating.
Please add the following to your advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<video>
<useffmpegvda>false</useffmpegvda>
</video>

And report back. If this fixes your issue - please try to cut a short example (50 - 100MB in size max), ensure that you can reproduce the problem with this sample and post a link to it here please (maybe via dropbox or something similar which is easily accessible).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Yes I can confirm this fixes the issue. The crashing at exiting Kodi isn't resolved by this modification. So I guess that hasn't got anything to do with it?

I'm going to do some research on how to cut a piece out of a MKV file on a Mac.

Edit

I've found MKVtools which can be used to split up MKV files. Maybe a useful tip for anyone: open MKVTools, Go to "Edit Files" and choose open and select your MKV file. Select the radio button "Size" and in this case I entered 75 MB, choose "Split".

WeTransfer link to 75MB split, which shows the same symptoms.
Can' reproduce the problem with my macmini late 2012 (intel hd 4000 graphics). If i see it right in your logs you are in windowed mode. On which screen? Does it matter if it is the internal or the external screen? Does the issue change if you use a full screen mode? In the case of the external screen i see that it has a resolution of 2560xXXX pixels - does the issue change if you enable Kodi to be fullscreen and change it to 1920x1080 in settings->system->video before starting playback?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
In short it comes down to this after some testing; when I force the MBP to use the intel GPU and have the external NEC PA271W disconnected, the problem is gone.

So the problem is always there when the Nvidia GPU is being used, no matter which screen Kodi is being displayed on, no matter what resolution or windowed. I just tested that.
thx for that feedback - interesting indeed.
Good evening,

I've just installed 15.1 for the first time on my Mac Mini OS X and seeing the same green screen problem.

Has anyone ever sorted out this problem? What should/can I do?

Thanks in advance.
see some posts above http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2058095
@McYoshi, could you repost that sample so I can take a look at it ?
What can I give you aside from a debug log (which is a given, and I'll get you) to help? Changing advancedsettings to turn off ffmpeg cippled my 2010-era Mac Mini to the point it could play nothing properly (immediate sound and sync issues).

When I leave that code out, SOME videos do indeed play with "green screen" (sound is fine) since 15.1 (possibly even 15.0 final, I can test this as well).

Let me know what you need from me to help debug it.
cut a sample, 50-100MBs in size, verify the green screen exists and post it somewhere I can get it (post URL) here.
Working on this for you today. Do you have a recommended editing tool I can use (PC or MAC) to get you an unaltered clip? I think most of what I am seeing, when i clip you a segment, it's re-encoding it which likely will not replicate the problem for you.

We can PM and maybe exchange the full video through a dropbox or something too.

Here's the other problem -- I only get the green screen on my old mac mini. My OSX desktop plays the video just fine. My guess is that it's an older mac mini related issue and not one that will affect all OSX Kodi users.
I just use dd on OSX/Linux. It will be untouched and not re-encoded. For example;

dd if=~/Movies/21.and.over.2013.720p.bluray.x264-sparks.mkv of=greescreen.mkv bs=100000000 count=1

again, verify the sample shows the greenscreen effect.

dropbox URL here, then I'll respond after I fetch it and you can remove it.

The kodi.log file from your box that plays it green would help, that shows me the rendering setup and I can replicate it. I have many boxes Smile
nvidia gpu - my bet...
It is definitely an nvidia GPU in my Mac Mini.

The issues didn't start until late in the 15.0 or 15.1 cycles (wish I could recall exactly when, the problem is fairly recent though).

I can still create this snippet and get you a full debug log though if it will help. Memphiz may already know the problem though?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Green screen playing MKV's0