managing movies in local server for multiple devices?
hello kodi! i have another question. i have been using kodi for many many years. i realized that i have kodi now on 8 devices in my home! there are 4 types of users. how do you manage what device has access to what movies? i have a server with all the hard drives in a central location that is accessed by all devices. i also have a mysql. so far i have had the master device building up on a single mysql database. how should i manage the devices based on the users? each user has its own device so profiles are not really needed.

when adding new movies i use Ember to generate the nfo and images and all that.

i basically have myself, which i dont care what content it loads. my main device justs loads everything from the media servers and connects to the main sql database.
after that, i just dont know how to manage the other users. i have a teenager that doesnt really matter for content restriction.
i have a kid so i just want her content displayed.
and i have my parents that only watch non kid movies lol.

when i created a profile for kids, i noticed that the main sql database was displaying all movies since i thought i could maybe set a filter on the kids profile to only display based on like rating or cartoons or something. i didnt even add the sources but all the videos started to get placed under Movies.
today i tried to go and add movies 1 by 1 for kids, but it was a pain! figured that with a Videos-Kids sql database might help. doing this was a pain and i couldnt finish the A's clicking add, browse, over and over and over. then having to do it when i add new content.
i then tried to just add ALL the root Movies folders and just set the content to none then go 1 by 1 and setting the content as movies but this was also a pain like the last method.

so, how do you all do it!!!! im totally lost on this lol.

ps. i know maybe sorting the movies in the server to its own \Movies\Kids might be easier which i did this way back in the day, but kids grow up. so from going to something like barbie type movies, to adding now none animated kid movies like harry potter, is like a grey area since harry potter can be enjoyed by adults too, JUST AN EXAMPLE LOL. so i just started putting ALL movies in 1 directory for universal viewing. just having problems on displaying what for who from using the same single source.
You would need to make a different MySQL database for each of your users. There should be some info on this on MySQL (wiki).

See http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Advanced_notes#Name_tag
Once each device is using it's own database (which would also be my solution, with sources configured for each device, and movies grouped age-appropriately on the NAS) there's no point continuing to use MySQL.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-07-22, 02:05)Milhouse Wrote: Once each device is using it's own database (which would also be my solution, with sources configured for each device, and movies grouped age-appropriately on the NAS) there's no point continuing to use MySQL.

so your saying no sql database for each user and just sorting the movies in the nas instead of having all movies in 1 main directory? i only use the sql for webinterface and keeping a catalog of what i have so if i go out i dont get a movie i already have. i was hoping there was a way to use like an advanced playlist style that can sort the movies automatically and display them by default in the Movies tab of kodi, instead of clicking the sub category so the user just clicks Movies and starts browsing. just to make it simple for the older and the younger users.
(2015-07-22, 02:11)dr-oopie Wrote: so your saying no sql database for each user and just sorting the movies in the nas instead of having all movies in 1 main directory?

I/we are saying each user/device would have their own SQL database, but when you do that there's really no point in continuing to host each database in MySQL (you still can of course, particularly as you're already setup, but it's unnecessary). Instead you could just revert to the default SQLite database that is created locally on each device, and then decommission your MySQL server...

I'd also group movies as you see fit (ie. movies for Adults, Kids, AllAges) then add the relevant sources on each device eg. on the Kids device only add the Kids and AllAges sources.

(2015-07-22, 02:11)dr-oopie Wrote: i was hoping there was a way to use like an advanced playlist style that can sort the movies automatically and display them by default in the Movies tab of kodi, instead of clicking the sub category so the user just clicks Movies and starts browsing. just to make it simple for the older and the younger users.

Yes, it's a shame Advanced Playlists can't be applied to the standard library nodes (at least not that I know of) as that would be the simplest and most flexible solution.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-07-22, 02:26)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 02:11)dr-oopie Wrote: so your saying no sql database for each user and just sorting the movies in the nas instead of having all movies in 1 main directory?

I/we are saying each user/device would have their own SQL database, but when you do that there's really no point in continuing to host each database in MySQL (you still can of course, particularly as you're already setup, but it's unnecessary). Instead you could just revert to the default SQLite database that is created locally on each device, and then decommission your MySQL server...

I'd also group movies as you see fit (ie. movies for Adults, Kids, AllAges) then add the relevant sources on each device eg. on the Kids device only add the Kids and AllAges sources.

(2015-07-22, 02:11)dr-oopie Wrote: i was hoping there was a way to use like an advanced playlist style that can sort the movies automatically and display them by default in the Movies tab of kodi, instead of clicking the sub category so the user just clicks Movies and starts browsing. just to make it simple for the older and the younger users.

Yes, it's a shame Advanced Playlists can't be applied to the standard library nodes (at least not that I know of) as that would be the simplest and most flexible solution.

yea thats what i meant by no sql, meaning keep it out of box sql lite instead of having a central location. i only need it for 1 like i said so no biggie there. thanks for all the info, it will take me a while to sort the movies and guessing what movies the kids might want. i was using an extra 2TB hard drive dedicated to kids but i ran out of rack space so pulled it out. figured there had to be a universal way to share movies to specific users by now lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
managing movies in local server for multiple devices?0