Official Kodi Box
Does anyone think the Kodi Foundation will ever come out with an officially supported Kodi box? If so,what would the requirements be for such a project that the foundation does not already have? Firmware developers, etc..

Any thoughts on the topic?
Almost definitely not. We make software, not hardware.

We have talked about coming out with accessories as like one offs for special occasions, but those would at best be short fundraisers. And so far that's just been talk. Making hardware is better left to for profit companies who exist to take risks.
Maybe a suggestion to partner with a company that does make hardware and have a "officially supported version"? One where the firmware developers comply with specific requests of Team Kodi and vice versa. I feel it would help with the barrage of people that come here and bombard the forums with questions on the junk boxes they buy from China or eBay that come with pre-loaded add-ons. I mean a box where the hardware manufacturer's practices would align well with the vision of Team Kodi. It could be an easy "plug-n-play" way to get the proper Kodi experience into the homes of people that would not otherwise be interested in crafting their own setups, possibly because they lack the technical know-how.

Plus, possibly the hardware developer - being that they're making profit, could be in agreement to monetarily support the development of Kodi.

The hardware developer could come here and figure out what the majority of the community constitutes the best Kodi experience in terms of input/output options...remote...etc.

It could be very cool!!
We've actually discussed an idea where we could have a list of requirements for venders, and they could send in hardware to see if it meets those requirements, and then get some kind of bragging rights. It would be more of an advisory thing, though, like the rating on meat. If it ever happens (I kind of forgot to follow up on that idea...).
Aren't those hardware sponsors? Ie wetek?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2015-07-23, 11:13)bry- Wrote: Aren't those hardware sponsors? Ie wetek?

Nope. While we do try to make sure that hardware sponsors follow the GPL and have hardware that works relatively well with Kodi, we don't officially give the hardware any kind of seal of approval or guarantee that it's working. Doing so would require contracts and probably one or more people dedicated to testing the system in a professional environment. Like Ned said, it's something we've talked about, but doing something like that would be quite a lot more effort than a sponsorship.
I think that it sounds like an awesome idea. If a box out there had the official seal of approval - I'd buy without hesitation.
What if it also had a sticker that said "contains live ants"?
Haha good point. What I mean to say is that if Team Kodi was behind it and making sure the intended Kodi experience was available from said box - I would buy it. Team Kodi does excellent work. Sorry for my bad English
But what if it had both stickers, one for Kodi and one for ants? That would be awful. Why would anyone do that? What would the ants eat while they were inside? How many could fit in a set- top-box?

So many questions, so little time.
(2015-07-23, 22:13)Ned Scott Wrote: But what if it had both stickers, one for Kodi and one for ants? That would be awful. Why would anyone do that? What would the ants eat while they were inside? How many could fit in a set- top-box?

So many questions, so little time.

Kodi for Hex?

|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Official Kodi Box0