Req Windows system volume control
I would love to have the possibility to control my windows system volume from within Kodi instead of the Kodi program volume.

I've got two reasons for this:
1. All the wireless remotes (I know of) control the system volume.  So if I map the volume button of the remote in Kodi. Both system volume and kodi volume change. Which is unwanted. If I don't map the button, the system volume changes. I can live with that. But I also use Yatse a lot. Yatse changes the program volume. So I end up controlling two different volumes, which I don't like because it makes things complex. You never know how loud your movie or film will be.

2. I use my HTPC also for other programs. Those other programs are Steam, some internet streaming music services, spotify. Those program's also use the system volume (or at least I can get them to use the system volume using eventghost and other tricks).

P. S. I found a similar request in the forums. But if I understood it correctly, than this other request was filed under iOS and more than one year old. I hope I didn't break the forum rules by posting a similar request on a more logical position.
In this ongoing discussion (for years) i tend to the fact that whatever we do in the regard of application or os volume. We can't do it right. There are always use cases where one prefers exactly the opposite behavior. While i understand where you are coming from at least i stopped even thinking about it and accept that it is how it is and we are not able to make everyone happy with the approach we are taking at the moment.

I expect another lengthy discussion now - don't be sad if i refuse to answer (maybe someone else jumps in and chews this gum again).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'm sorry to bring up an apparently ongoing discussion. I really can't find any trace of it, can you please point me to one or more of the threads? Searching for 'windows system volume control' (or iterations on this theme) doesn't give me any useful results.

But to give my opinion on the matter.

Please don't change the current behaviour by default. I would like to have the possibility in Kodi to choose between controlling OS volume or program volume. If this is hard to implement I would stick with the current behaviour of controlling the program volume.
I have this problem as well.

To dev: Is it too hard to add a check box for program/system volume control, as it was done in winamp for example? Would not that be OK for everyone?
I'm not sure if it's so much as "hard" as much as it is about getting everyone to agree that it's worth adding a setting for. Since this is an issue with other platforms as well, including OS X and Android, I hope the group is more open to a setting for system volume control, but the final decision on that still is up to those who are able to implement this.
Just want add that this is still very important issue to me. I am running Kodi on desktop PC on second monitor (projector), and while movies are not being watched, I use the PC for work. And I leave it ON 24/7.
So, if I set system volume to 100% and adjust required volume on Kodi (which is like 20%), I get many scary and loud notifications from skype, email programs, etc. And if I leave it on over night... Good luck getting any sleep.
Problem is that I have this set up so other family members could watch movies with single press of a button on projector's remote. I could not find any other way.

So it is clear, that system volume control is essential for people running Kodi on their workstations. If devs are reading this: please add a check box to choose control type. Or at least provide a way to do that through registry, settings, scripting, etc... I need it to work from Yatse, and not keyboard keys or whatever, like scripting suggests.
still an issue... Is there a wish list I could flood?...
(2015-09-11, 19:36)elektrinis Wrote: still an issue... Is there a wish list I could flood?...

The easiest solution I've found is to setup an autohotkey script to your volume buttons. It is really simple and then your remote will control the system volume not the Kodi volume.

Just need to map these commands in a script(as examples)

Send {Volume_Up} ; Raise the master volume by 1 interval (typically 5%).
Send {Volume_Down 3} ; Lower the master volume by 3 intervals.
Send {Volume_Mute} ; Mute/unmute the master volume.
Well, it is relatively simple, if you use keyboard or a keyboard-emulating remote. I don't use that and not going to jut to have one more remote just for that.
I use android app Yatse, which is the best thing ever fot Kodi. Can it emulate volume keys?
(2015-09-22, 15:11)elektrinis Wrote: I use android app Yatse, which is the best thing ever fot Kodi. Can it emulate volume keys?
I'd imagine you could use yatse to run a couple of scripts to increase and decrease system volume. Which would probably be useful to quite a few people.
Is there a way write add scripts and to map phone's volume keys to them? Did a quick search and could not find anything similar.
+1 for such an feature!
A -1 from me here.
Ever since this was done on adroid we are stuck with two bars being visible while changing volume. One being the rather bulky and ugly Android volume slider.
Hate to see this happen to the Win version [shrugs]

Anyway, as Memphiz states this is all deja vu.
(2015-09-23, 08:58)elektrinis Wrote: Is there a way write add scripts and to map phone's volume keys to them? Did a quick search and could not find anything similar.

The Kore app does this.
(2015-10-15, 10:07)Atreyu Wrote:
(2015-09-23, 08:58)elektrinis Wrote: Is there a way write add scripts and to map phone's volume keys to them? Did a quick search and could not find anything similar.

The Kore app does this.

Does what exactly? There are two separate issues here. One is more feature request than issue:
1. This is not android "remote control" app-specific. Yatse does map phone's volume keys to control the volume of Kodi on remote player, but it does so only when Yatse is active and in foreground. What I like to have is to map the volume keys to work from lock screen as well, when media is playing. Currently I can skip tracks and pause them, but can't control the volume. So volume control is quite painful: you have to unlock the phone (pattern, password or whatever makes you feel safe), then nnavigate to yatse, load it and then adjust the volume. Not very convenient.
2. Now this is an issue: volume control type of the player. Currently it controls only the volume of Kodi, but not entire system's volume. This might be OK for someone (can't imagine who or why), but to me is very annoying at least. I had the same issue when running Kodi on Android "TV box": I had many other services running, like email... And if system's volume is turned up all the way to allow full range of volume control from Kodi, a very loud notification comes when you get an email for example. To avoid this, I have to run my Kodi at full volume all the time and adjust it on receiver/amp, which means one more remote to push and carry around. Which is nonsense.

If you are referring to some kind of bug in previous system volume control on your previous post, the bug should be fixed. What I see was done to do that, they simply decided that "oh, that has a bug, let's just remove the bug by disabling the feature entirely. This is nonsense once again.

What we are offering: add an OPTION to choose your preferred system volume control, not hardcode one or other... I do realize that Kodi is a cross-platform application and it is easy to control Kodi's volume, but hard to implement system volume control on all different OSes, but is that a legit excuse? Many other things are different as well...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows system volume control0