N3000 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 2955U (Help needed)
Highend skylake chips should have way more then enough grunt to software decode 10-bit hvec so not a real problem. Heck i am pretty sure mobile i3s based on skylake should have no problem software decoding 10-bit hvec
Well... you probably can software decode 10-bit hvec now with a Haswell i7 or some other powerful desktop/mobile CPU, the problem with software decoding is that it usually requires a powerful CPU that:
  • is expensive;
  • requires a fan that is audible in quiet scenes (or an expensive fanless case);
  • software decoding does not guarantee profile tiers and levels, so you may get a CPU that can handle low bitrates and then choke with a higher bitrate video. It's also very dependent on background tasks.
And I don't think an i3 would fit the OP's budget given the choices he's considering.
(2015-08-10, 11:49)Topken Wrote: Highend skylake chips should have way more then enough grunt to software decode 10-bit hvec so not a real problem. Heck i am pretty sure mobile i3s based on skylake should have no problem software decoding 10-bit hvec

With this logic for Skylake.....are we talking 10bit hevc 1080p or 4k?....4kp60?

My understanding is that my shiny new Broadwekk i5 NUC is a dud if one's concerns are 4k HEVC 10bit....especially 4kp60. (Hybrid decoding is not really all that good.)

Is the assumption that Skylake's bump will be significantly enough to handle this under software decode?
I was talking along the lines of the heavy lifting chips like the I5 6600K and i7 6700k AKA desktop class CPUS. Nucs do not use desktop class CPUs meaning those CPUs in a NUC are far weaker then those that are in a desktop. Mobile class chips have always been weaker then their Desktop partners. They basically have to be to use up less power and to keep heat down inside the device.
What is the minimum CPU required for reliable 2160/60p 10bit HEVC decoding at the moment? And what HEVC decoders are the most efficient?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
N3000 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 2955U (Help needed)0