UserData profiles (databases and thumbnails cache) on a SMB/Samba network share?
I just got another xbox for my bedroom and its pissing me off to have to update both machines thumbnails when i add new media to my network share. any way that i can set a central shared userdata on my network share that both boxes would draw from?

thanks in advance for any help.
Look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=78816

and here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27990

BTW both were found using the invisible-to-most search function... Give it a try Smile
Hi,

I wondered if there is a way of telling the XBMC to create the UserData directory under an SMB share.

is there anyway of doing something like that ?

My XBOX is currently highly fragmented, and the UserData files are not helping it. I'm not really familiar with the smb mechanism the XBMC is using, but I guess there might be a benefit by storing it remotely.

thanks
or just ftp over the user data!!!!

takes about one minute!!!!
craze7 Wrote:or just ftp over the user data!!!!
But if you have more than 2 Xboxes it is "much" work Oo

Many ppl have a NAS where they store their media (films, mp3s pics). Why not storing the userdata-folder there? If you log in the Xbox loads the userdata from the SMB-share (for from ftp) and copys it to the Xbox-HD.
If the SMB share is not reachable, there can be a fallback and XBMC loads the last userdata from the HD with a Popup: i.e.
Quote:Can´t load userdata from Share. Using local userdata. Please check connection
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Solo0815 Wrote:But if you have more than 2 Xboxes it is "much" work Oo

Many ppl have a NAS where they store their media (films, mp3s pics). Why not storing the userdata-folder there? If you log in the Xbox loads the userdata from the SMB-share (for from ftp) and copys it to the Xbox-HD.
If the SMB share is not reachable, there can be a fallback and XBMC loads the last userdata from the HD with a Popup: i.e.

i think thats a brillant idea
For thumbs, you could store thumbnails with your media on your PC/NAS
then each xbox would get the thumbs from there.
Hi guys,

I have three xboxes, all running xbmc, all on the same network, all using the same NAS for movies etc.

In fact, the only difference is their locations in different rooms - all my settings, tweaks, AV libraries etc I want to be the same.

For instance, I've spent some time updating the Movie Library on my lounge xbox with cover art etc.

Is it possible to store userData on a central point - ie the NAS perhaps - and tell all three xboxes to look their for userData, meaning they each run identical settings, libraries etc?

If not, is it simply a case of copying the User Data folder from one on to the others?

Thanks in advance...
***************System Stats**************
Dell SX620 USFF PC
Windows 7
2TB HD
4 GB Ram
Yes that is the main idea is to replicate your Userdata folder from one to the other. I keep a back up on my data server and replicate that to the other machines in the house when the first is updated. I did notice an issue with the last build that I was getting my Video Db Overwritten and there was nothing in the log, somehow would take my 5Mb Db to 1Mb in any scenario. I did a clean install of the newest build and copied my Userdata files back to that machine after and all seems well now.

I would love to see a client/server setup such as mymovies for MCE with an SQL lite db. I am not a developer by any means but it would be an awesome feature.

Regards,

Dave
Star 
I asked this question to my local XBMC modder guy here in Portland Oregon and was unable to really figure this one out I am sure there are ways to do this but I think it involves transferring certian files to the different networked xbox's on the network.

Please bear with me.

1. Here is my file located on my NAS/OSX/WINXP-SAMBA share.

And Stuff on my Win2003SServer:

2. here are my XBMC xbox's located around the house and one at via VPN of site

3. here is the over 1 terabyte worth of Media I have inluding dvd's MOPEGS and divix files etc.

I want to have this TYPE MEDIA INFORMATION, NOT JUST PICTURES Rolleyes:

HOW CAN I GET THIS METADATA/SCRAPPER INFO TO DISPLAY FROM A REMOTE NAS/SAMBA/SHARE? Can I Keep it there instead on the xbox?

This gets real tedious when you have to update raid volumes switch drives do backups and other things with media From NAS storage devices or shares on the network.

So is there a way for XBMC to store local DATA from "Thumbs" and stuff" or XML database files to the remote NAS/Shares on the network while also being able to successfully attain the information from those remote shares at the same time.

I was kind of hopping for something like what you would get from a iTunes DAAP share. All that stuff you have on your computer as play lists and media TAG info and Metadata is passed on to the xbox's on the network. Even if you have like 10 of them!

The pictures make it allot easier to use for guys like me that don't want to wear glasses to watch tv.

And If you are local to Portland , Oregon 97211, beers /Soda to show me how to get this done if it involves editing XML/Database files from what I have been told.

Sometimes I wish there was like a store or something you can go to buy support on this stuff. Man That would be great!!!! To bad laws get a little sticky around that point. Probably why you do not see any classes greared to the ubject of media centers. If there were, What a Learning opportunity!

thanks
Mickey
Rainbow 
Solo0815 Wrote:But if you have more than 2 Xboxes it is "much" work Oo

That's on the money.

There is a robocopy type python script somewhere that was written 8 moths or so ago for copying userdata to a samba share and back, It checks modified date and file size rather than a checksum and just copies if there's changes.

Course it would be nice to have a feature exactly as you've described inbuilt in XBMC Wink
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28199

the link to the python script discussion. I can only hope that this will lead me to the right direction. So If any body wants to come to my house and do this, I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT THE B E E R AND SODA, HELL PIZZA AND DOUGH NUTS IF THAT'S YOUR THING! Big Grin

So is there like any XBMC ALL STARS that live in Portland Oregon? You know of all the final cut pro user groups out there, there is not one that i know of that is on XBMC.

I will keep looking on how to get this all working. Almost thinking of using somthing like carbon copy cloner to get all this working on the other xboxes in the house/ network.

Would this qualify under a feature request?
What I would like to be able to do is move the UserData folder to a NAS that was common to each xbox. Allowing me to press stop in one room, walk to the next and resume exactly where I left off.

I was looking to synchronize cache and resume timestamp data between multiple xboxs and came across
this thread.

I'm sure the "technical reasons" mentioned in the thread is simply the network adapter is not ready yet? or is unreliable during loading?
That could be overcome by loading the default profile, then switching to the network located profile. If reliability is an issue, I'm content booting the xbox multiple times to get it to load.

The thread got me to this on the wiki.
Problem is any change I make to the <directory> tag in the profile.xml file is overridden back to default when loading the profile or restarting the xbox. I've tried moving it to E:\profile and a E:\dashboard\UserData\profiles\MasterCopy and they always get changed back to <directory>q:\UserData</directory>

For good measure, I also deleted the TDATA & UDATA 0faceXXX folders and copied the profile.xml to xbmc's root. Didn't help, tdata and udata were partially repopulated and the new profile.xml location was ignored.

The only way I can change the directory is using the xbmc gui to create a new profile, but all new profiles need directories relative to the UserData folder. Only the default profile's directory can be moved elsewhere, but is not editable from within xbmc's gui and can only be changed manually.

XBMC SVN 2008/05/18 rev13120
The userdata folder MUST be located on the xbox harddisk. Where it is you can specify via system/profiles.xml - I have no idea if this really works or not. This appears to be your only issue?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yep, it is a great idea.

Any advice for a guy writing a python script that autoruns on boot and synchronizes / copies the UserData from a network location? Then after boot and the initial download, each time UserData has a file changed or created the script will upload that file to update that network location.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UserData profiles (databases and thumbnails cache) on a SMB/Samba network share?0