Understanding OC on raspberry Pi2.
Hi,

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me understand the following:

I have a Pi2 that idles at 600MhZ most of the time but seems to jump to 900MhZ.

I assume, therefore, that the Pi (with standard settings) is set to dynamically overclock to 900MhZ whenever needed.

This is fine, but when you look in the config.txt file, you get the following options:

None 700MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt
Modest 800MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt
Medium 900MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 2 overvolt
High 950MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt
Turbo 1000MHz ARM, 500MHz core, 600MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt

What I don't understand is why you would have None, Modest and Medium if the Pi (by default) already defaults to the Medium setting or am I missing something here?

One other quick thing - with the Raspberry Pi 1 (Model B), although it could dynamically overclock itself to Turbo mode, I was told that it could not do so for the GPU. For best results, therefore, you had to force turbo mode on all the time.

Do you have to do the same thing with the Pi2 or is it better at dymically overclocking everything itself?
The comments in config.txt describe Pi1 settings. On Pi2 most of those don't make sense.
Overclock on Pi1 is pretty vital for decent performance. On Pi2 it is unnecessary for most users.

Currently "turbo" mode is only triggered by high arm cpu (one of the cores being above 50% busy).
That does mean if you are overclocking the gpu (e.g. for advanced 1080i60 deinterlace or 1080p60 decode, or MVC),
then you may may need force_turbo=1 to ensure the gpu gets turbo mode when it needs it.

I am working on the ability for the GPU to trigger turbo mode, when it is doing, e.g. advanced 1080i deinterlace.
When that's in force_turbo won't be required.
That's great - makes much more sense.

So really, considering I am just watching regular SD/HD streams, I should just leave everything as the default settings?

The only other setting I am changing is the GPU allocation from 128 to 320? Is it sensible to be changing this?
Default overlock is fine for most on Pi2.
I recommend gpu_mem=256 for Pi2. If you are using heavier skins, then 320 isn't unreasonable.
In general there is no shortage of memory on Pi2 if you are just running Kodi, so a high gpu_mem doesn't cause any problem.
Great - I am using confluence so shall change to 256 as suggested.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Understanding OC on raspberry Pi2.0