New Kodi setup
I have an HTPC running XBMCbuntu that I built a while ago that runs Kodi and hosts my content at the same time. I am reaching the point where I need to expand my storage and I was looking at buying a NAS to host content but after reading through the forums I think I'm better off repurposing the HTPC into a NAS build and purchasing Nexus Players and/or Chromeboxes for the TVs. I'm just looking for everyone's thoughts for peace of mind on what I am about to do.

The HTPC motherboard is an ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo. It has 5 SATA ports on the board.

I will need to buy:
A new micro-ATX case with capacity for 4 HDD and 1 SSD such as this.
300W PSU (is this overkill?)
4 WD greens (thoughts vs red anyone?) and 1 SSD for the OS. I guess I could also just use a USB stick for the OS.
2 kodi boxes (I'm thinking either Nexus Player, Chromebox or both)
In the future I might add a tuner card for over the air broadcasts.

I've settled on Ubuntu Server (I'm very comfortable with linux). I plan on running Emby (thoughts of this with Kodi anyone?), sabnzbdplus, sickbeard, couchpotato, hosting shared documents, and other miscellaneous non-Kodi household things such as security camera footage (I think most use ftp?).

Raid:
I'm considering either raid 5 or raid 10. Which is more commonly used on home-made NAS boxes? Raid 5 = more storage/less performance vs raid 10 = less storage/better performance. Will I even notice the read/write performance difference over my wireless network?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I know these questions aren't necessarily Kodi specific, what forums do you guys recommend for Kori-friendly NAS discussion?
(2015-07-27, 17:36)jonandtice Wrote: what forums do you guys recommend for Kori-friendly NAS discussion?

I do not believe you will find such a combo, but for NAS, the best source personally I think it is:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Kodi setup0