Trying to decide on a new TV box.
Hi, I currently have Kodi running on 3 separate PCs, all of which ran XBMC back when it was still in Eden or Frodo release versions (depending on the device). Anyways, I'm looking to add another device with Kodi to my library; but rather than getting a new HTPC, I'm thinking of trying a small TV box.

I was leaning towards the Fire TV, but I also want to load the TWC TV app on it, and after testing using a sideloaded version from the Amazon marketplace, it doesn't look like it is friendly for non-touch devices and I don't want to have to add another controller or mouse to support it.

Main things I am looking for are:
- HDMI video output
- can run Kodi and has enough processing, memory, and storage to be able to perform casual video streaming activities
- preferably has a Netflix, Hulu, etc app.
- can load and easily run TWC TV app.
+ major bonus for having separate (optional) audio out in PC center/sub, front, and rear 3.5mm aux jacks (or some output that I can convert to that form -- currently running a digital optical to RCA to 3.5mm aux conversion).

Not looking to spend a lot of money on this, otherwise I'd just get another HTPC.

Thanks!
You're going to have a hard time finding anything that meets the requirement of running the TWC TV app since Time Warner doesn't have a TV/remote friendly version.

For that you're going to have to bug the developer to publish a TV friendly version.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
It looked like they have the app for Roku and Samsung Smart TVs, but the former doesn't look like it runs Kodi and the latter doesn't fit into what I want, as I want this hooked into a projector via HDMI out.

I think if I could load Kodi onto a Roku box without loading a custom OS on it, I may get everything I want there...
Yea, I use the TWC TV app on my Roku. You're likely going to need two boxes just because of that app. It's supposedly supported on Android devices but it's not available for FireTV or Shield TV. It runs on phones, so maybe anything running stock Android and a completely unlocked Play Store would load it but you still might have trouble using it with a remote.

I gave up on an "all-in-one" device, although over time the Shield TV might have the best bet at becoming just that. Currently I run a Shield TV (Kodi) and a Roku 3 (Netflix, HBOGo, TWC, SlingApp, Showtime Anytime, etc).
TWC TV app works on Minix S8xx boxes, Google Nexus Player. It will not run on nVIDIA SATV. Like Tinwarble mentioned, it is not very remote friendly app. It is designed for phones/tablets (and Roku).
Thanks, I just took a look at the MINUX boxes, and it looks like this'll fill everything I want for the price point... I'm pretty hopeful right now, but I won't know for sure until I get to he's around on it.
Well, you might want to keep in mind that all boxes have some sort of limitation.

I believe on the Minix boxes that Netflix is limited to 720p.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Nah! Netflix and Hulu are limited to SD (480p). TWC, I have to check the exact resolution.
Ok, I tried to grab the Minix Neo x8+, but I also grabbed an Nvidia Shield TV, since I could get it for %20 off. Going to try out the shield, since their website and Netflix's website both say it can stream Netflix in HD.

I also found a HDMI to HDMI + RCA (audio) adapter, and I have a RCA to 5.1 center/sub, front, and rear 3.5mm aux converter from Logitech for my Logitech 5.1 computer audio system, so with any luck I should know if this is workable tomorrow night! Smile
(2015-07-28, 17:05)xel614 Wrote: Ok, I tried to grab the Minix Neo x8+, but I also grabbed an Nvidia Shield TV, since I could get it for %20 off. Going to try out the shield, since their website and Netflix's website both say it can stream Netflix in HD.

The Shield is one of the few Android-based boxes that will stream Netflix in HD (the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick do as well I think). The Shield is also one of the only external devices that does Netflix UHD/4K I think - as it has HDCP 2.2 support.
Unfortunately my projector only goes up to 1080p, I do have a Vizio P-series 4k TV, though. And, while I don't currently have the upgraded account for UHD, I have considered it; but that won't help in terms of this projector.

That said, in the future, I can still use the box with other devices. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to decide on a new TV box.0