• 13(current)
Any TVAddons people around? Time to get real
(2015-08-22, 06:58)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-08-22, 06:47)spank Wrote: boy it just amazes me how friendly and nice the admins are here, never seen such from a admin on a website.

Still pretty certain you're a sock. In other situations I might not, but the fact that you've only ever spoken in this thread, and you only take positions that Eleazar also seems to think are important (which nobody else does), really seem to indicate sockpuppet identity status.

He's not entirely wrong. The admins for XBMC/Kodi are often callous and condescending, there are plenty of threads that demonstrate that. As far as this particular issue goes, I can understand where Kodi is coming from. Having said that, good luck getting TVAddons to remove all references to the word Kodi unless they do it voluntarily. Some of the demands go far beyond your rights re:copyright law.
xbmc17: show me one thread where the admins are
Quote:callous and condescending.

I'm just a user, so lets see some examples.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=235520
That wasn't callous or condescending, that was a sarcastic answer in the thread you posted. As it is obviously unnecessary to use a VPN for Kodis intended use. In the end, it's just a Media Player. By the way, it seems like the OP has got the joke. Wink
(2015-08-29, 10:06)Doc.Ex Wrote: ... In the end, it's just a Media Player...
Its not just a Media Player, its the open source media player Blush
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
(2015-08-29, 15:07)wisler Wrote:
(2015-08-29, 10:06)Doc.Ex Wrote: ... In the end, it's just a Media Player...
Its not just a Media Player, its the open source media player Blush
You're saying there's Very Little Competition in that area?
Anybody ever install TVAddons on one install of Kodi then have it self install on another version of Kodi on another machine thats on the network?

We have 4 different installs of Openelec/Kodi on 4 different machines we installed TVAddons on one machine to 'check it out' then a few days later was watching a movie on another machine without TVAddons installed and the movie locked up, the root cause to the movie stopped playing was because the one Raspberry Pi we use to serve the media files had rebooted. when we discovered this and turned the TV on for this machine we were welcomed by a TVAddons welcome screen it had installed itself on the machine by itself.

The machine we use to serve the files is almost never used its on a TV that seldom gets used thats why we picked that box to serve the files. Since we first installed TVAddons we felt it was nothing but a virus I am sure some geek will correct me and tell me now its not a virus and they are probably right if you dug threw all the fine print we probably agreed to give up our credit card numbers and all personal information that TVAddons could possibly access through our network ect. call it what you like we NEVER asked if we wanted it installed on other machines, we were NEVER asked if we wanted in installed on the machine that serves the files.

TVAddons is long gone we feel as if TVAddons was up to no good like collecting and sending data off our system doing the phone home thing as all 3 hard drives on the box we use as the media server were running non stop at times when nobody was accessing media off the drives.

I wish their was a way to 'virus' check or check add-ons or repos what ever for malware or the like BEFORE you install it.

Kodi seems like a great place for data miners to quietly play or for them to gain access and download all your media files for free.

We wish we would have read this topic before we installed shame on TVAddons for riding Kodi's coat tails, we always wondered what the motive for TVAddons to offer what they offer for free.
(2015-08-29, 23:04)Lisa_ Wrote: ... the movie stopped playing was because the one Raspberry Pi we use to serve the media files had rebooted. when we discovered this and turned the TV on for this machine we were welcomed by a TVAddons welcome screen it had installed itself on the machine by itself.

If this is true, boy, that's a big, big problem. Like, before I was just saying unofficial addons could be dangerous. This is seriously some virus level stuff.
(2015-08-29, 23:11)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-08-29, 23:04)Lisa_ Wrote: ... the movie stopped playing was because the one Raspberry Pi we use to serve the media files had rebooted. when we discovered this and turned the TV on for this machine we were welcomed by a TVAddons welcome screen it had installed itself on the machine by itself.

If this is true, boy, that's a big, big problem. Like, before I was just saying unofficial addons could be dangerous. This is seriously some virus level stuff.

It would be easy enough for someone smarter than us to install TVAddons and see if it happens to them at the same time they could monitor activities on their local net and the internet traffic to see if any monkey business is going on.
Wow this thread is becoming a bigger joke as time goes by.
(2015-08-30, 02:42)RavRob Wrote: Wow this thread is becoming a bigger joke as time goes by.

+1
Brevity should never equate to rudeness.
Long ago I had the tvaddon repo installed on my HTPC, but then it started to rain... Luckily uninstalling the repo stopped the rain. Even saw a double rainbow!
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I like that there are people who think Kodi is secure enough to scoff at this kind of thing happening instead of figuring out that it could be done pretty easily with an open SMB share and a little bit of python.
(2015-08-30, 05:57)natethomas Wrote: I like that there are people who think Kodi is secure enough to scoff at this kind of thing happening instead of figuring out that it could be done pretty easily with an open SMB share and a little bit of python.

Nobody is scoffing, in all honesty this thread should have been closed long ago... at this point we are beating a dead horse..

Thank goodness for rational thinking... One wouldn't want to start unnecessary finger pointing over something which is completely fictitious and easily verifiable since everything is open source, uncompiled and easy to scrutinize .
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I'm not even going to get into these latest claims, we protect the users at our site at all costs - there isn't and will never be anything damaging to our users or any viruses in our stuff. You should be more concerned about the dozens of other Kodi sites that are attacking us with the goal of bringing more users to their sites - sites that highly violate the Kodi trademark, with the word Kodi in all of their domain names and more.

Just to let you guys know, we've done several things recently to try to explain to our users that we aren't supported nor endorsed or affiliated with the XBMC Foundation in any way, shape or form:

1) Posted 4 Times on Facebook - furthermore we ran two sharing contests with these posts to further ensure the maximum amount of people would see it.

2) Posted 4 Times on Twitter - again, ran two contests to ensure maximal retweeting so the highest number of people would see this information.

3) Forum Newsletter - the first paragraph was entirely devoted towards the explanation, it was sent to all of our forum users and posted in the forum.

4) Notification to Config Wizard Users - every single Config Wizard user received a notification dedicated to the sole purpose of explaining the whole issue clearly and concisely.

I'm trying my best to limit the use of the word Kodi on our site and will continue to do so in the future. I really think that moving forward it would help clarify things if the XBMC Foundation would run their own "campaign" to try to make it more clear on your site that you don't support nor endorse the use of third party add-ons.

You can't blame a newbie for coming here and posting about Kodi and third party add-ons if there's no clear notice to them that they shouldn't be asking here in the first place.

Again, we only have love and respect for you guys, I'm trying my best here to please everyone to the best of my capabilities and access.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any TVAddons people around? Time to get real3