Win What causes Ember to be so slow when getting information?
Question 
First, I want to thank Dan and the rest of the crew that keep Ember alive. I do not know what I would do without it. I am pretty anal when it comes to movie organization, information, the artwork ect. This program is by far the best media scraper ANYWHERE!

I do have however want to ask what causes Ember to be soooooo slow when getting the information for movies? I am on a 30 Mb cable connection, and with normal downloads, I average 3-4MBps. As a reference it takes a about 7 seconds to download a 720p YouTube trailer using a Firefox extension to do so. It seems when Ember gets to the trailer part, this is where it really slows down, and takes a few minutes.

As a test today:
I started auto downloading all information for 10 movies at 3:08 PM. It finished at 3:32 PM, skipping one movie that it did not recognize. That's 24 minutes for 9 movies. That is almost 3 minutes for a single movie. I checked the size of all the files that it downloaded for one of the movies, and it was 19 Mb for the fanart, actors, trailer. logo. disc art ect ect. At my Internet connection speed, that would normally take around 12 seconds to download, so what is happening inside Ember for the other 2 minutes and 47 seconds?

I am using my main PC to run Ember on, and categorize everything here before transferring to the MediaPC in the living room. This PC is a pretty hefty machine built for gaming. Ember latest Version is 1.4.7.2, the machine is running an 8 core 4.3 Ghz CPU, with 16 gigs of DDR3 2133 RAM, a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, and a direct Cat5 cable to my router.

Right after Ember finished, I went to speedtest.net and preformed a test, I got 31.47 Mb download, and 7.96 Mb upload. just to ensure that my connection at the time of running Ember was up to par.

I have a bandwidth monitoring widget on my desktop, and while ember is scraping, it ranges at downloads speeds of 10k - 150k, Yes KILObytes not MEGAbytes. Every couple of minutes or so it will jump up to 900k or so for just a second or 2 before returning to around 20Kb a sec.

So, my question, is there anything I can do to speed Embers scraping? What is it doing in the background, that I possibly do not need, that can be disabled.
------------------------------------------
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
JohnWPB,
this is very weird as my connection is awful and I'm far quicker than you.

Can you provide us the configuration of the modules? (config file) also you can enable debug log and pot it on pastebin to be analyzed.
If you think I'm useful please use the +/- button to raise my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What causes Ember to be so slow when getting information?1