Best Rpi2 control method
So, I just joined the world of RPi users, and now have 2 RPi2s in my house, running OSMC (for now, might experiment/change this up).

I want to get some more insight into the best way(s) to control them. Obviously I can use the Kore app, or other apps, but this isn't great for my flatmates, as it creates a barrier to entry.

Currently, we've got mouse and keyboard, which is fine, but I'd prefer something a bit slicker.

Thanks,
Matt
I am using this nice remote control receiver: RemotePi Board

It works great.
Server & 4 Clients

Heimkino: NVIDIA Shield
Dachboden: Arctic MC001 mit Openelec auf SD
Schlafzimmer: RPi2 mit Openelec
Wohnzimmer: Techsolo TC-2200 - Asrock Q1900DC-ITX mit Openelec auf SSD
Server: HP-MicroServer G8 mit DD Cine S2 V6.5+Flexmodul - Ubuntu 14.04/yaVDR headless
I have Kodi devices connected to 4 TVs. Which boxes these are fluctuates a bit - but I use Pi 2s for 2 or 3 of them. My standard set-up is a standard RC6 Rosewell USB IR Receiver with a Windows Media Centre RC6 remote control, because it has the right combination of buttons for the actions I want. They are about £20 from Maplin if you are in the UK. You can get cheaper solutions, but the receiver is well supported by OpenElec and other builds and is in the 'just works' category. The remote controls that are compatible with it also drive an Intel NUC, and Windows Media Center (which I used to run quite a lot, and now run on a single Satellite Receiving PC)

Another great remote control is the PS3 Bluetooth Blu-ray remote control. It's not cheap, but is a great remote. It works on the Pi 2 with a cheap £1 Bluetooth dongle. Again it has the right mix of keys for the functions I want.

The Rolls Royce of remote controls for me is the Tivo Slide Pro. This is a Tivo remote control (nice layout - and good quality build) that splits in the middle to reveal a keyboard. You need to buy one with the RF receiver dongle (designed for older US Tivos, as the newer ones have a built in RF receiver). Not cheap - but probably the nicest solution I've found for both remote control and text entry.

Another solution is the FLIRC receiver. This is a learning IR receiver that pretends to be a keyboard to the OS, and lets you map buttons from almost any IR remote you have lying around to keyboard presses. If you have a remote you like that is no longer in use, then that's a good fit.

If you want to go cheap then you can get very simple IR receivers that will plug in to the GPIO header on the PI 2 (the big 40 pin connector) and let you also use remotes you have lying around. However you may need to delve into the LIRC config and possibly into command lines and text editors to get them to work.
Way to not use just tv remote with cec hdmi support. It is work out of box with pi, i have a Combo of my lg tv remote and measy RC 11 if i remember good model, and a yatse.
Using tv remote for most of case is just enough.
Yep - CEC control is good for basic controls if your TV supports it and you don't need additional functionality. In some cases it can be a little bit unresponsive too. But it is free.
I use CEC on the TVs that support it and wired up $0.99 IR receivers on the TVs that don't. The Kodi smartphone app gets occasional use, especially to send reboot commands when I don't want to fire up a terminal.

Keeping with the Raspberry Pi's spirit of cheap computing... I went with cheap solutions! Smile
I also use CEC TV remote, I agree it is not as responsive as a USB IR remote but it works pretty well, it's free and if supported it should be satisfactory for most users.

However If I need to search or type anything, then for ease, I use the Yatse app on my android phone.
If I need to log in via ssh I also use a Android app called juicessh and if I need to transfer items, I may have downloaded on my phone I use another app called ftpcafe.
With these I can do pretty much anything I need to the pi without having to ever fire up a computer.
Juicessh FTW! To transfer files i using Total Commander with a plugin, but this what i said before for most of case tv remote it is just enough. But if i should recommend
I recommend rii mini i8 or something like this. It is better choince that a airmouse with gyro

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Rpi2 control method0