Solved Installed retrorig, Kodi is removed
I have been trying to get a working emulator setup working on my Kodibuntu machine, running the latest Kodibuntu 15
With Steam big picture (goes through openbox) as per this guide: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1919154

Got Kodi and Steam all setup nicely, thought hrmm.. would be great if I could play emulator games too.. So I installed Rom Collection Browser,
And then installed retro rig as per https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/RetroRig

Ran through the setup, that all went fine but after I rebooted I got dropped into openbox with no kodi starting up.. and openbox says
/usr/bin/kodi is gone (it is.. I checked)

Can I save this?

The Retroarch setup guide seems to be designed for windows users.. Can’t seem to find any information about how to properly setup
A emulator along side kodi.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Hoping I can save this

Can attach a log if you guys like but I'm guessing kodi.log has got nothing.. since it wont start now.
Try
Code:
sudo apt-cache policy kodi

The output of that command should let you know how to proceed., If Kodi is indeed gone then just reinstall it,
yeah tried that.. Got this:

Code:
sudo apt-cache policy kodi
Code:
Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:15.0~git20150722.1043-final-0trusty
  Version table:
     2:15.0~git20150722.1043-final-0trusty 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Code:
sudo apt-cache policy xbmc
Code:
Installed: 3:14.0.12.2
  Candidate: 3:14.0.12.2
  Version table:
*** 3:14.0.12.2 0

So Kodi does indeed look gone..

I already thought to myself.. well i have an old xbmc now and everything else is still intact (openbox is still there, steam is still installed, etc etc) perhaps if i install Kodi it will overwrite this outdated
version of xbmc i now have and maybe it will even pick up the .kodi file/configuration left behind..

So i tried:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then:
sudo apt-get install kodi

And then this message came along to shoot my hopes back down:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:15.0~git20150722.1043-final-0trusty) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:15.0~git20150722.1043-final-0trusty.1~) but it is not going to be installed
        Breaks: xbmc-data
        Breaks: xbmc-skin-confluence
        Breaks: xbmc-standalone
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Well ok.. after many hours of trying many things and pulling many hairs.. I did my "Plan B" and removed retroRig (via the uninstall wizard in setup script)

Now i can install Kodi by the looks of it..

Maybe.. I'll save it after all. Still got no emulator setup Sad Many people seem to be running one.. no one willing to give up some tips on setting it up.

meh, least I'm not reinstalling all over again .. maybe
Looks to me that project retrorig is xbmc only not kodi and its seems to be some patched version? Not sure.. The person you can ask or file bugs with is the developer for that retrorig thing.
Yeah i emailed him.. No response so far. Not to worry.. Now i know RetroRig does not behave as a standard addon its a full blown xbmc/retro game rig setup and yes, seems patched and xbmc only..

Seems i have managed to save and recover my Kodi system completely as soon as i got rid of it. Lucky there was an uninstall built into it.. Mostly just an annoyance having to set up Kodi again. Ran into only one problem.. Kodi was booting twice due to duplicate entries in a script.. managed to sort that out myself.

Happy days, Thanks again for helping.
I would probably just file an issue at his retrorig github page rather than email tbh.

Also full edit main post and select solved from the drop down menu, maybe also add a title like "Installed retrorig, Kodi is removed" or something so that anyone who goes down same road finds this thread and hopefully has a better solution or resolves the issue in a different way.

Good luck with that. Enjoy Kodi now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installed retrorig, Kodi is removed0