Busy.....Please Wait.
Is there anyway to escape out of this window??
it happens constantly on almost everything to some degree.
In some instances the wait time becomes too excessive. I press escape, backspace, etc...., and nothing happens. It's not exclusive to any one add-on.
I'm not concerned with the reason why it's happening, because it always happens for many different reasons across all addons.
I want to know how to exit the "busy....please wait," window so i can go back to doing something else. Being stuck in that window for periods in excess of 30SECONDS to a minute and over really ruins the experience. I've been wanting to build a media center revolving around kodi, but I don't want to spend all day in the living room in front of a "busy....please wait," window.

I did some googling, and there's a throng of other people frustrated by this, but i couldn't find a solution.

is there a key i need to press to be able to exit the "busy....please wait," status, or an xml i can modify to reduce the amount of time kodi is willing to wait before it returns control to the user. personally i think the feature should be removed or made into a caption that allows parallel processing of controls so the user can move on to do other things should the "busy....please wait," status become excessive.
Press escape, backspace, etc. is the usual recommendation. Check out the Youtube add-on at 3 AM, are you getting a lot of buffering with that? A lot of these add-on seem to believe that their add-on is the only one you're interested in, and sometimes compromise the network settings for the rest, and then there's more nefarious possibilities, and perhaps your add-on is directly tied to a remote server that is swamped or going 'pay'. Most of the add-ons I've encountered are just written bad without any default time-out that tell Kodi to drop the attempts after x seconds. Keep in mind that on occasion a server might have only so-many slots available, and you might wait a while for the connection, but once started, the connection is solid, or a large buffer needs to be filled before the stream moves along. How is your network connection to these sources in a standard browser? This issue may have it's origins with your network or ISP.

In short not one solid answer for this dilemma other than stick with add-ons from the official repository.

Quote:i think the feature should be removed or made into a caption that allows parallel processing of controls so the user can move on to do other things should the "busy....please wait," status become excessive.
This in large part is in the individual add-on developers hands, making a direct appeal is one way to effect change, and the other is to post in Feature Requests, perhaps there is a solution which escapes average mortals.
Alot of the connections are pretty good. Some of them i find are dead links. Dead links react the worse. These hang for a while. unable to probe input file can sometimes give a good wait, but most of the time that one isn't as bad.

I press escape, backspace, etc....sometimes the only thing i can do is restart.
Often times it is much much faster to simply restart Kodi than to wait for it to return control to me. That's why i'm wondering if there's something within the configuration, or a specific line i can add to some of the scripts to simply give up after x amount of seconds. Something on the order of 5-10SECONDS would be nice. I got a 50MBit connection, so i don't have much of a problem streaming unless the servers are swamped, but i still get stuck at the busy screen.

I did crank up the buffer size using an advanced xml, but it didn't cause me to lock up on normal working streams and functions. There has to be a give up time limit in here somewhere. if it don't hook up in 10SECONDS then bail out, and give me back the controls.

until someone can tell me how to regain control of the system when the "busy....please wait," I guess i'll have to get on feature requests, and tell em to offer an obvious time out settings for naughty addons, or to allow parallel processing of controls.

restarting to gain control cuz of some script kiddy garbage gets on my nerves.

This reminds me of how bad VST and VSTI was back in the day, but time has taught people to make a more stable application to overcome the faults of crappy VST coding. VST's used to be able to take down the entire program. Nowadays a VST starts knocking off, and the problem is isolated compared to older incarnations of their modern versions.

Maybe that's the solution we need here. Perhaps running Addons off the main thread, more independently in a more isolated processing space will allow for both parallel processing of controls, and prevent faulty addons from taking down the whole system.

again if anyone knows how to add a time out, i'd be greatly appreciative.
Quote:That's why i'm wondering if there's something within the configuration, or a specific line i can add to some of the scripts to simply give up after x amount of seconds. Something on the order of 5-10SECONDS would be nice. I got a 50MBit connection, so i don't have much of a problem streaming unless the servers are swamped, but i still get stuck at the busy screen.
At one point you're waiting for Kodi to time out on a connection, the default kicks in ~ a minute & a half... Yes I know it's long, but some server returns are very slow especially if there's a big list. This is Kodi itself, so if you want to mode this put on your coding hat and get your compiler together. Most of the official repository add-ons have been vetted and have bail-out functions, like esc or back keys, but it's pretty hard to keep track of the plethora of new add-ons. This is not a big heartbreak for me, Kodi is the best home theatres software and add-ons become an interesting attraction, but it looks like you derive much more use from this area than myself. All I can say is if the add-on developers had as much skill as the Kodi programmers, things would be more stable.

BTW: somewhere in the forum messages is a message about changing the connection timeout. You might want to use Google with the Kodi as the prefix.
Yes!!!! Thank you!!!!
A googling I went, and a googling i found this.
I just googled, "adjust kodi timeout."

Having same problem, found an answer. I tested it and it works for me. You have to create an advancedsettings.xml file in your profile directory. On a windows 7 or 8 machine that is located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

Paste the following into the file for a 5 second delay and restart KODI. NOTE that the default is 20 seconds. % works well for me. I tried 1 second, but that seemed to be too short to allow the system to make any connections and came back with no sources found.

<advancedsettings>
<playlisttimeout>5</playlisttimeout>
</advancedsettings>

I use autoplay and this has greatly improved my performance.
I have also enabled sorting of sources by three criteria: Verified, then Quality, then Plays in descending order. Some of the older stuff that we watch is hard to find and it will now automatically find a good source pretty quickly rather than having to manually try each one.

Documentation for this is located here:

Advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Chuck.

Thanks Chuck. he's somewhere on this forum. LOL.

So far it seems to have fixed my IPTV from hanging. I'm go check the rest of my plugins, and see how it effects the rest of them. So hopefuly this will help anyone else who gets stuck dealing with the painful timeouts. 8D

I was getting ready to compile Kodi. if this works I won't have to. 8D
(2015-08-03, 04:23)MTRX Wrote: Yes!!!! Thank you!!!!
A googling I went, and a googling i found this.
I just googled, "adjust kodi timeout."

Having same problem, found an answer. I tested it and it works for me. You have to create an advancedsettings.xml file in your profile directory. On a windows 7 or 8 machine that is located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

Paste the following into the file for a 5 second delay and restart KODI. NOTE that the default is 20 seconds. % works well for me. I tried 1 second, but that seemed to be too short to allow the system to make any connections and came back with no sources found.

<advancedsettings>
<playlisttimeout>5</playlisttimeout>
</advancedsettings>

I use autoplay and this has greatly improved my performance.
I have also enabled sorting of sources by three criteria: Verified, then Quality, then Plays in descending order. Some of the older stuff that we watch is hard to find and it will now automatically find a good source pretty quickly rather than having to manually try each one.

Documentation for this is located here:

Advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Chuck.

Thanks Chuck. he's somewhere on this forum. LOL.

So far it seems to have fixed my IPTV from hanging. I'm go check the rest of my plugins, and see how it effects the rest of them. So hopefuly this will help anyone else who gets stuck dealing with the painful timeouts. 8D

I was getting ready to compile Kodi. if this works I won't have to. 8D
please wait is the sole reason kodi isnt MS Windows rather than a media platform which isnt known by many. and i love use official addons. excuse... that makes me laugh id rather watch paint dry then use and official addon
(2020-11-12, 23:01)squaleca Wrote: please wait is the sole reason kodi isnt MS Windows rather than a media platform which isnt known by many. and i love use official addons. excuse... that makes me laugh id rather watch paint dry then use and official addon

I hope you have a very good excuse to post in an almost 5.5 year forum thread.
Because we have very little patience for BS posts and their writers on this forum.
(2020-11-12, 23:52)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-11-12, 23:01)squaleca Wrote: please wait is the sole reason kodi isnt MS Windows rather than a media platform which isnt known by many. and i love use official addons. excuse... that makes me laugh id rather watch paint dry then use and official addon

I hope you have a very good excuse to post in an almost 5.5 year forum thread.
Because we have very little patience for BS posts and their writers on this forum.
yea well i guess spending over $200 on a shield and getting turtle like performance out of kodi makes you wonder
(2020-12-11, 07:59)squaleca Wrote: getting turtle like performance out of kodi

I use a Nvidia Shield 2015. It runs Kodi just fine.
So... Details, log files, and no vague accusations is what we need.
Kodi on windows 10 pc with shared network drive, if network drive is not active kodi takes 30 seconds to boot.
No network drive kodi boots in 2 seconds maybe that's the problem.
(2020-12-11, 07:59)squaleca Wrote: yea well i guess spending over $200 on a shield and getting turtle like performance out of kodi makes you wonder

Don't use pirate addons then as their code is know to be shitty and can cause all sorts of issues with your system.
(2020-12-11, 13:21)Theike Wrote: No network drive kodi boots in 2 seconds maybe that's the problem.
I love it when users solve their own issues.
Have a pc with kodi win 10 and a nuc win 10, both running kodi. Had created a shared folder on the nuc and then the kodi issues started on the pc. Now I have created a shortcut from the nuc's shared drive, and deleted the network reference. Solved all problem on my pc with kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Busy.....Please Wait.0