Is 'Start Recording' really supposed to do this?
I've always thought the 'Start Recording' behaviour a bit strange in Kodi, and hoping it may change with some of the PVR refactoring that was happening for Isengard, but it still behaves the same.

When you are in the Epg (grid view) and bring up the context menu on a program there is a 'Start Recording' item in the menu, if you click it a recording is started that just seems to run forever (eg the item you highlighted last 30 mins but the recording is still going an hour or two later).

This seems really bizzare as you expect it to record the item you have selected (only).
However to do that you seem to have to dig deeper by going into the program information dialog then selecting record from there... Is this really how it is supposed to be working?
I believe this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

When you press record on an item in the EPG you are initiating the Instant Recording (because the item is already airing) which by default will record for two hours. If you schedule the item ahead of time as a timer, then the PVR will only record that show, plus what ever you have set for the pre and post padding.
Hmmm OK, is it just me or does anyone else think that is counter intuitive?

Surely if you have selected a program, brought up a context menu and then told it to record, you would expect it to record just that program.

I'm not really sure why you would ever want an 'instant' record that just recorded anything airing on a given channel for a period of time (as long as guide data exists) as surely if you wanted to record something you just use the guide and tell it to record..

Am I missing something?
I never really played around with the recording side of things that much, but I would agree based on your description. If you select an EPG entry to record then Kodi has all the information necessary to only record the show, ending at the scheduled time. Preferably, this would be the default behavior regardless of where the recording button was pressed, as long as there was valid EPG data.
To me, it seems like the Instant Record is more akin to having a VCR where you simply clicked 'record' and it would record that channel until you told it to stop (or it ran out of tape).
It depends on the Backend. NextPVR will record the current show when you do this.
I have similar problem too, very annoying :

Come home after work , switch my raspi2 on , boot kodi/openelec , go to TV -> Channels , select channel where Footbal match is allready playing (~20 min. or so )
and press RECORD button on OSD player interface. Fine , it starts recording, i am watching the game . All ok.
Then ~ 5 min. before game is finnished OSD message pops-up "Recording ended ... blah blah ... etc .."

What the hell ?
Kodi just stopped my MANUALY trigered recording because it believes what EPG (i suspect) told it about the duration of program/show/sport match.

Hitting the record button again does nothing , just triggers Failure Message with some nonsense about Programm/Channel/Recording ID not found, and HTSP headend reconnects.

Well , that is not what i expected. Why not the old school VCR Way - I hit RECORD button and it records as long as i dont stop it or tape / disc space is out ?
Why overrirde users instructions?

Is there a way to record what i want for as long as i want ?
Please advise
Thnx

mad77
You've just described the opposite of what OP is talking about. I guess it really is up to the backend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is 'Start Recording' really supposed to do this?0