New TV and audio sync issues...
Hi guys,

Today i upgraded my old Sony Bravia which I have had since about 2007 to a new PANASONIC VIERA TX-40CX400B. With my old Bravia I did not experience any issues with audio sync but now it seems that on the new TV playing back movies on Kodi the audio is slightly ahead.

My setup is Nvidia GTS450 to TV via HDMI for the video playback and the sound goes separately through my sound card which as an old Soundblaster Audigy 2. My surround sound speakers are PC speakers connecting via coloured jacks on the card and not optical or digital out. If i switch the audio to HDMI and just play it though the TV speakers it appears to be in sync but not so via the sound card. I am not sure why this is since it all worked fine with the old Bravia TV.

I have tried adjusting some of the refresh rate options in Kodi but haven't been able to get it quite right.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Many thanks!
Jay
If you send your sound independently of your TV, then it will arrive early compared to the picture you see in many cases.

Most modern TVs (even in Game or PC mode) will add a frame or two of delay - some will add 3 or 4 frames. If you route the audio through your TV, it will usually compensate for this delay, however if you route the audio to the amp / speakers independently of the TV, as many of us do, you'll either need to delay the audio in Kodi (it's a setting in the Audio settings that you can make permanent for all videos) OR in your amp, if it has that option. (Which I see you can't do as you are using amplified speakers)

When you listen through the TV it will delay the audio to match the video delay, and so it will appear in sync, as you observe.

It's a function of the TV delaying the video, not Kodi. In your situation I think the only solution is to add some audio delay to match in Kodi's audio playback settings. When playing a video select the audio options - where you would select subtitle language, audio track etc. and you'll see a delay option.

I suspect your 2007 Bravia had very little processing, and thus very little delay. We replaced our 2007 1080p Bravia with a 2014 UHD Bravia and I definitely had to add more audio delay to compensate for it.
Thanks for the reply noggin, I had no idea the TV did that! Do you know if there is a way of working out exactly how much delay is needed? Or will I need to just do it trial and error ? Also, will the delay required be the same for all videos? Would be a bit of a pain if I needed to set a unique delay for every film.

Cheers
(2015-08-04, 07:08)Jayzif Wrote: Thanks for the reply noggin, I had no idea the TV did that! Do you know if there is a way of working out exactly how much delay is needed? Or will I need to just do it trial and error ? Also, will the delay required be the same for all videos? Would be a bit of a pain if I needed to set a unique delay for every film.

Cheers

The delay should be the same for all movies as it is a function of your TV, unless there is a fault in the encoding of the movie.

However the delay may change based on the viewing mode and type of motion processing you select on the TV, so don't keep changing that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New TV and audio sync issues...0