Asus VivoPC vs Xtreamer Prodigy 4k - Which one is best ?
Hi everyone !

I had a look a several pre-build case options and I came up with two possible choices which are:

The ASUS VivoPC with a Celeron CPU
VS
The Xtreamer Prodigy 4k

Which one would be best ?
Do anyone have experience with any (or both) of these devices ?
I think this is depends on what you need.

I have the old version vivopc celeron + 2gb ram + 64gb sdd. Works perfectly with openelec can run aeon skin, 1080p 24hz, hd audio extremely fast. I am really happy with my current system. I had the i5 version but as it was an overkill i changed with celeron. I have no idea with the xtreamer.
I need a case that has a 3.5" hard drive slot (for a 4Tb disk), which can run openelec smoothly (I actually own a Xtreamer Ultra 1).

By the way, thank you for the answer !
if your from the UK, you have the HP 260 G1
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

nothing comes close for the price. (you can get a good experience with a Pi2 if your needs are not as great)
(2015-08-04, 12:44)MediaPi Wrote: if your from the UK, you have the HP 260 G1
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

nothing comes close for the price. (you can get a good experience with a Pi2 if your needs are not as great)

Thank you for the suggestions, but I already owned a Pi model B 1 and it wasn't good enough to manage my library...
Too slow and way too much wires (when you've go 2 power supplies (for both pi and HDD), HDMI out, HDD to Pi usb, ....

I need everything in a box with only a power plug (and a usb slave port to add files to the HDD without having to remove it from the case or using a USB key to transfer from my laptop to my HTPC).
(2015-08-04, 12:22)Songoku Wrote: Works perfectly with openelec can run aeon skin, 1080p 24hz, hd audio extremely fast. I am really happy with my current system.

Is it really smooth ?
Are you using HDD or SSD inside ?
Is openelec installed on Hard Drive or on a usb key ?
Does it play everything ?
Important: Does it have usb slave port ? (how do you transfer files to the internal drive)
are you fromt he UK?
(2015-08-04, 13:09)MediaPi Wrote: are you fromt he UK?

No, I'm from Belgium.
have a look at this
https://www.alza.cz/pc-sestavy/hp/mini-p...-v1287.htm

I don't know how much they are charging (is it a belgium site?) if you can get this for a price comparable to other boxes then buy the HP260G1
Thanks, but it's not available for belgium.. I checked the specs on HP's website, and doesn't even pack with an internal 3.5" bay (http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Produc...tech-specs).
Then it's not that interresting..
(2015-08-04, 12:51)jsn.crdnl Wrote:
(2015-08-04, 12:22)Songoku Wrote: Works perfectly with openelec can run aeon skin, 1080p 24hz, hd audio extremely fast. I am really happy with my current system.

Is it really smooth ?
Important: Does it have usb slave port ? (how do you transfer files to the internal drive)

Is it really smooth ?
yes. The menu can skip hundereds of covers without any delay. Movies are already good
I am using 1 SDD only. New models can get 2 2.5inch drives. ssd is important for fast interface (covers,logos etc)
Hard drive (ssd) directly is the best solution for me, can boot in seconds Smile
For me yes. Mostly i have untouched bluray remux videos AVC, VC1 in MKV. Also .ts .avi etc. No problem so far. Running the box 1080p24hz for movies.
Probably you can use kodi file browser as well from usb to internal or usb to usb but If i need to transfer anything to harddrive i use windows network (SMB) to transfer. Openelec is already configured for SMB. I transfer files 100mb/s from wired connection to ssd.

anything to try i can try for you when i am home. By the way i am using passthrough for all HD audio but i don't think it would be any problem for encoding as well.
Thanks ! This helps a lot ! ^^
The only dark side I read is that there's no direct connection to the internal drive in the VivoPC case.
I would have two options to add files/movies unto it:
- opening the case, to transfer files from my laptop to the HDD then put it back in place
- transfering the files on a usb key before transfering files from the usb to the internal HDD

I don't really consider the SMB option which is too slow for big data transfer (more than 2Gb)
(2015-08-04, 12:44)jsn.crdnl Wrote: I need a case that has a 3.5" hard drive slot (for a 4Tb disk), which can run openelec smoothly (I actually own a Xtreamer Ultra 1).

By the way, thank you for the answer !

In this case you can use usb as boot and keep movies in HDD but i would suggest using an SSD internally and using hdd with USB3.0 as video source. Keeping an HDD running all time will keep the device with heat and will make the fan louder. Normally it is extremely silence when using with SSD.
(2015-08-04, 14:11)jsn.crdnl Wrote: Thanks ! This helps a lot ! ^^
The only dark side I read is that there's no direct connection to the internal drive in the VivoPC case.
I would have two options to add files/movies unto it:
- opening the case, to transfer files from my laptop to the HDD then put it back in place
- transfering the files on a usb key before transfering files from the usb to the internal HDD

I don't really consider the SMB option which is too slow for big data transfer (more than 2Gb)

SMB is not slow if you have a wired gigabit connection. You can check various transfer styles while you installed kodi. There are various different ways.
(2015-08-04, 14:18)Songoku Wrote: SMB is not slow if you have a wired gigabit connection. You can check various transfer styles while you installed kodi. There are various different ways.

I agree, but my laptop only has a Ethernet 100M port... Meaning transfer won't go higher than something like 12,5 MB which is incredibly slow compared to usb 3.0.
And let's say that I'd prefer not to buy a Gigabit LAN to USB 3.0 adapter...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus VivoPC vs Xtreamer Prodigy 4k - Which one is best ?0