Adding empty series to tags... and not losing them during a clean
Hello,

For eons I've had <hideemptyseries>true</hideemptyseries> set in all my advanced settings files with no issues (3 firetvs, one Windows server running mysql and main installation).

I've only recently discovered TAGS and thought they were the ticket the having personlized smart lists such as "Wife Recently Updated Tv Shows", the only issue I'm running into is I turned off the hideemptyseries so that I could associate all my wife's shows with tags, even those with no episodes; which was great, until watchdog cleaned the database at the next startup and deleted the empty series from my TAGS list.

We're a watch it and delete it household, so the clean database is necessary. I thought maybe if I set hideemptyseries to false, it would maintain the empty series but not actually hide them when the database was cleaned, turns out this was false. The only hideemptyseries entry that appears to have any effect on function is if you set it to "true", false, at least in my limited testing is the same effect as not having the entry in your advancedsettings file.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to clean the database, but not remove empty series from my tags? I found a discussion ( http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214908 ) that seems to follow pretty much what I'm after, but the GIT mentioned in that discussion seems to just end: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5643

TL;DR. Is there a way to keep empty shows AND show them in the library after cleaning the database? Seems like <hideemptyseries>false</hideemptyseries> would accomplish this?
Short answer: currently no
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Thanks Martijn... The "currently" gives me hope....

Going to play with workarounds now...
Ok, for the future googler that lands here looking for a work around.

Option 1: TAGS

Step 1: Shutdown Kodi
Step 2: Change hideemptyseries to false in advanced settings
Step 3: Start Kodi,
Step 4 Update library, do not clean database
Step 5: Go to tags, add shows to TAGS, even empty series.
Step 6: Shutdown Kodi
Step 7: Change hideemptyseries to true in advanced settings.
Step 8: Start Kodi
Step 9: Clean database and update library.

Note, empty series will not show in tag list, but will still be associated with the TAG when a new episode is added.

Option 2: Strictly Smart Playlists

Add the tv shows to a smart playlist while hideemptyseries is set to false and pick tv shows based on title. That way, the list of titles are maintained, even if the shows don't exist in the database. In fact, this may be cleaner/easier than what I described above (except in the case of wanting TV Shows OR Episodes for certain smart playlists, TAGS are much better in this use case). Use this smart playlist as a basis to build other smart playlists (I.E. Unwatched wife tv shows, recently updated wife tv shows... etc etc).
It will hopefully be fixed with a GUI setting in the future. Things got kind of messed up with that tag ;)
(2015-08-05, 02:24)Ned Scott Wrote: Things got kind of messed up with that tag Wink

They certainly did... I love the power of the TAGS though, makes home media life with wife and kids so much easier. I'll do the workarounds until I don't have to.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding empty series to tags... and not losing them during a clean0