v15 Crash on channel switch with AFTV Stick
Hello everyone,

just yesterday i set up my new FireTV stick to watch TV from my server via recording service. Running Kodi 15 and the DVB Viewer addon that ships with it.

It works, but badly. It works fine on both my Zboxes with DVB Viewer Client so it doesn't seem to be the server that's messing things up.

If i don't use RTSP i have serious stutters and the video pauses every few seconds to rebuffer. I am already using the low ressources setting. If it doesn't rebuffer the video is out of sync with sound. RTSP seems to have a much lower quality or am i imagining things? (30GB 1080p h264 MKV play fine, so i doubt it's a bandwidth problem). I tested SD and HD channels with the same results.

Channel switching is a pain. If i try to switch while watching a channel, either via remote control buttons or via the GUI buttons, Kodi crashes completely. I can go back to the channel list and select a different channel without problems though.

Are those common problems or did i mess up somewhere?

I hope someone can help me out with those problems, i googeled for quite a while but couldn't find a fix. It needs to be wife friendly for me, if you know what I mean. If you need any kind of logs or other information I'd be glad to provide those for you, i just don't know what you might need and how to produce it.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Sionzris
FireTV hardware/gpu/foobar problems. You can try playing with different settings in Settings -> Video -> Acceleration but I'll probably never be crash free.
I did get it crash free... but not usable for SD.

If i don't use the RTSP option, i can switch channels just fine and HD channels are stutter free now (this might be the newest RS version and ffmpeg update i did), however SD channels stutter to the death, i just don't get it.
Do SD channels use more HW/Bandwidth than HD channels? I always figured h264 to have better compression meaning more used HW, so that wouldn't explain it and bandwidth.. could be.. i don't know the comparison between h264 and mpeg.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup. This will probably turn out to be just used for Streaming from my server then.

Edit: Might be SPMC an option to try?
I have setup 15.1 final with mediaportal backend and also expierence such behaviour.
Sometimes Kodi crashs on switching channels.
i will try to reproduce the issue and come back here.

pOpY
Here are the Logs: http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/F9jfMzBB/file.html

Can anybody please look into it?

thx
pOpY
It seems a DXVA2 issue with windows 10 + Radeon 5750.
Have tried this solution: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2103836
but with no,luck.

After disabling DXVA acceleration in Kodi Settings has solved my issue.
Will now go without HW-Acceleration for now.
My CPU load is at ~6% on an 1080p movie, so its ok for me.

Hope this helps somebody :-)
pOpY
(2015-08-07, 17:16)Sionzris Wrote: I did get it crash free... but not usable for SD.

If i don't use the RTSP option, i can switch channels just fine and HD channels are stutter free now (this might be the newest RS version and ffmpeg update i did), however SD channels stutter to the death, i just don't get it.
Do SD channels use more HW/Bandwidth than HD channels? I always figured h264 to have better compression meaning more used HW, so that wouldn't explain it and bandwidth.. could be.. i don't know the comparison between h264 and mpeg.

Anyway, thanks for the headsup. This will probably turn out to be just used for Streaming from my server then.

Edit: Might be SPMC an option to try?

I get exactly the same symptoms with Kodi 15.2 RC 3. Watching HD channels is ok, but once I switch to a SD channel, the Fire TV stick starts slowing down massively, to the point where it's no longer usable. To be able to use it again, even after exiting Kodi, I have to kill Kodi.
I suspect a memory leak.

Also, the posts by user popy above are not relevant to this thread, as he reported a problem with Kodi on Windows. This thread is about an issue with Kodi for Android on the Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash on channel switch with AFTV Stick0