Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail
(2015-11-12, 13:26)dakooga Wrote:
(2015-11-11, 22:23)Filly86 Wrote: CPU load while playing hevc 10 bit fulhd?

Tried a couple of different movies.

Specs
Media Player HC v1.7.9
Intel HD Graphics drivers v10.18.15.4263
Windows 10 x64

Please note I'd read elsewhere that the HEVC decoder on MPC is about 50% more efficient than the one used by VLC (from versions a month ago) I don't know if that's still the case, but with software decoding there's clearly a difference between implementations that's worth knowing about.

The bitrate will vary during the course of the film much more so than with other codec so I've just listed file size and duration so you can work on a avg bitrate.

Man from Uncle 2015, 1080 HEVC Main 10 profile, constant 23.97fps w he-aac 48khz 6ch, 1.4GB for 1h 56m
Pretty stable @ 50-60% utilization across all 4 logical processes, no dropped frames, action sequences see it spike to about 75%

French Connection 1971 Remastered ,1080 HEVC Main 10 profile, constant 23.97fpc he-aac 48Khz, 1.2GB for 1h41m
Variable @ 65-75% utilization, action sequences see it spike to 85%,, content is still pretty grainy even after cleaning so I'm guessing the decoder has quite a bit of work to do versus modern clean content. 7 dropped frames from right at the beginning when windows update was doing something

Pulp Fiction 1994 Remastered, 1080 HEVC Main 10 profile, c 23.97 fps, he-aac 48khz 6ch, 1.7GB for 2h 34
Variable @ 60-75% no real spike during any fast movement scenes, no dropped frames.

The box becomes warm but not hot to touch after playing the movies.

I previously found an update for the Cherry Trail system drivers including GPU and a new official bios from the tronsmart forums.

Hope that helps.

~Kooga

Hey I'm knew here only because I've been struggling so much to get x265 10bit videos to work on this device. They work fine in Plex desktop program and MPC, but they stutter really really bad in the latest Kodi stable version. I've tried disabling hardware acceleration and I've tried it on. I've changed the auto processing to all the available options e.g. software etc.

Nothing I so can get x265 10bit videos to work smoothly in Kodi. Do you have a solution please? Thank you
Use the 64 bit version of kodi. If this does not help - nothing we can do.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-18, 09:23)fritsch Wrote: Use the 64 bit version of kodi. If this does not help - nothing we can do.
 Thank you for your reply. I've tried your solution and the 64bit version doesn't work either.  I somewhat understand what you saying with "nothing we can do", but maybe - improve your software might be a sensible action to take rather than taking the approach of "nothing we can do"? Plex and other video players can play the videos fine, but Kodi can't.  Seems there is a flaw in your software if other video playing software can play these files flawlessly.
We use ffmpeg for playback. Especially for SW playback _only_ ffmpeg is used - kodi only brings the picture to display. Please post your Debug Log with the x64 version, so that I can at least see if all cores are used. Btw. "plex" is funny - just use the plex plugin for kodi and play it with that. Transcoding is cheating ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-12-19, 08:32)fritsch Wrote: We use ffmpeg for playback. Especially for SW playback _only_ ffmpeg is used - kodi only brings the picture to display. Please post your Debug Log with the x64 version, so that I can at least see if all cores are used. Btw. "plex" is funny - just use the plex plugin for kodi and play it with that. Transcoding is cheating ...

Ok I will try produce a Debug Log later today. I'm NOT transcoding with Plex nor MPC-HC programs btw. That's the last thing I want to do as it'll cause uneeded strain on my server, hence every client I get has to be compatible with all the video codecs I'll use so direct play plays. I've even tested the files locally on the client machine with Kodi, Plex and MPH-HC, it's only Kodi that doesn't work with the files.

I've tried the Plex plugin/addon with Kodi with hardware acceleration checkbox in Plex Kodi, ON and turned OFF too. Same issue in addon as within Kodi itself. Plex addon doesn't work for Kodi 16 btw, it's extremely buggy and unstable.
It is obviously that your client is NOT compatible with your files. Kodi is rendering in OpenGL (it's a 3D application), so there is a very big difference to what MPH-HC is doing as it puts stress ON the GPU and when playing stuff on the slow cpu cores also on the CPU. We will see in your 64 bit log what is going on - else you can easily use mph-hc as external player within kodi exactly for such files.
(2017-12-19, 08:47)fritsch Wrote: It is obviously that your client is NOT compatible with your files. Kodi is rendering in OpenGL (it's a 3D application), so there is a very big difference to what MPH-HC is doing as it puts stress ON the GPU and when playing stuff on the slow cpu cores also on the CPU. We will see in your 64 bit log what is going on - else you can easily use mph-hc as external player within kodi exactly for such files.

Thank you for your reply. The MPH-HC solution is no good for me, as using it as an external player within Kodi doesn't provide me the benefits of a media library e.g. resume from last position etc etc.

So are you saying that Plex either on test 1: on a network server claiming it's playing the file as "Direct Play" and test 2: Plex used locally set as offline, so it's media server and client are on the same machine. That both tests are actually still transcoding?
I don't say anything. I want the log file with the 64 bit version - thx.
(2017-12-19, 09:15)fritsch Wrote: I don't say anything. I want the log file with the 64 bit version - thx.

Ok well I've just tried the latest nightly build and my files are now working in Kodi!! The previous nightly builds of Kodi 18 64bit and Kodi 17 32bit were clearly the issue then and not my client/device Wink

Plex add on is a mess on Kodi 18 64bit still though - doesn't work at all. I get pass the login screen (despite GUI bugs) then it just shows the three orange loading dots and doesn't do anything. Want a log or something for the Plex add on?
No - no interest in the plex addon. Still want the 64 bit log ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tronsmart Ara X5 TV box - Cherry Trail0