v14 Kodibuntu network mystery
Hi all,

Forgive me but I am a newbie with Kodibuntu so if I ask some dumb questions I'm sorry. Also, if I need to submit any extra details I'll be happy to, I may need help figuring out how to get them though (Linux noob).

Here's the basic spin, I have Kodibuntu 14.0 installed on an Intel NUC (DN2820FYKH), 4GB DDR3, 64GB SSD and everything was running beautifully however an issue with the internal network has developed.

Basically Kodi can't see the media sources on the media server so thinks nothing exists in the library anymore. Strangely, it will work fine sometimes but more often than not it won't. If I try to edit the source it just doesn't see anything on the internal network. Here's the weird thing though, it sees the outside world just fine, that is it will happily stream from the internet without any hassle. Checking the network status in Kodi shows things are fine, IP address, connection active.

Just to be on the safe side I tried a new ethernet cable and even a new switch but unsurprisingly that didn't help.

Nothing has changed in the setup, it just started happening out of the blue.

Any ideas what's going on?
Hi...

That's (sometimes) a normal behaviour while using SSD...your issue isn't the network, your issue is that your machine boots to fast and the network service isn't up at the start of Kodi. So you have to setup a delay at boot, to let Kodi wait until the network is up. This sounds harder than it is Wink...but first read the whole posting!!!

Requirements for the next steps are:
- you have a keyboard pluged at your HTPC
- are able to copy and paste commands I will give you
- are willing to read the wiki sections I will link you to!!!!

We have to do some other little steps. If you still run Kodibuntu 14, you should really upgrade. You have to exit Kodi and enter Kodibuntu like I explained here: Kodibuntu#Desktop_mode (wiki)

This is the "Desktop mode" (Kodibuntu) then. At this mode, press the "start"-button pendant at the bottom left on the screen and look for an internet browser and load this page again. So that you are able to read and enter commands and being able to copy and paste. After this search for a "Terminal"....open it.

Inside this terminal you have to enter the next command in one line. So just copy and paste it in

Code:
sudp apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Don't reboot...we will do this later!!

If everything works fine (what is highly expected Wink ), we will do further things to make your network wait. First look at this: http://kodi.wiki/view/Wake_on_lan

and follow the "Basic step" inside this wiki!!! Now, after this, we have to create/edit a new "wakeonlan.xml" in your userdata folder. So we use the terminal again...(each line is a single command):

Code:
cd ~/.kodi/userdata
sudo nano wakeonlan.xml

This will open a texteditor where you have to do some changes:

If there is something inside this file already, delete everything and paste this in:

Code:
<onaccesswakeup>
   <netinittimeout>10</netinittimeout>
   <netsettletime>500</netsettletime>
</onaccesswakeup>

If nothing is in that file (which means, it's new) then just paste the above things in.

after this save the file (CTRL+x) and keep the name.

reboot now and all should be fine. You should be on Kodi 15 Isengard and your Kodi client should wait 10 seconds before it starts...that should be enough for the network service to come up. If it still fails, play with the netinittimeout setting and enter another value.

After all settings have been done, you have to exit Kodibuntu and enter Kodi again by using the steps backwise like you entered the desktop mode. If you miss this point, your machine will always boot to the last known session, which is now Kodibuntu Wink.

Hope it will help you

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu network mystery0