disable getty from taking /dev/ttyAMA0 and running serial console?
Howdy all.

Anyone know how to disable getty from taking over /dev/ttyAMA0?
I've an Arduino serial connected to the Raspberri PI GPIO serial (using a 4050 hex inverter) and hardware all working correctly BUT

When I use Arduino serial monitor to see what pi is sending, I get the "uncompressing kernel", but then the raspbmc login screen ... I can ignore it all but of course with getty taking over I can't send/monitor any data with minicom..

I am guessing I've still got getty automatically connecting to /dev/ttyAMA0

further digging:
Code:
root@raspbmc:/# dmesg
Linux version 3.12.31 (root@raspbmcbb-legacy) (gcc version 4.7.1 20120402 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.15.2) ) #2 PREEMPT Wed Oct 29 09:24:56 UTC 2014

Code:
root@raspbmc:/boot# ps -x |grep "ttyAMA0"
1849 ttyAMA0  Ss+    0:00 /sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100
1854 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep ttyAMA0

This is despite inittab not having any ttyAMA0 entries, and/or boot/cmdfile.txt entries.
Code:
root@raspbmc:/boot# cat /boot/cmdline.txt
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 sdhci-bcm2708.enable_llm=1 dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=0 dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0

I can only assume that the kernel has been hard-coded for serial output??
Anyone know how to disable getty in this so I can use minicom to access the port?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
I understand that you're using Raspbmc, which is a Kodi/XBM-centric distro, but I'm not sure if this is a Kodi/XBMC-centric question?
I respect your stance - its not exactly specifically related to kodi, but this does appear relevant to post to the Kodi "Raspberry pi" specific forum as the issue i have appears to be ONLY on the raspi build of kodi on the pi - and I can't find out how its built or resolve it through the usual linux methods.. I'm hopeful that someone who DOES have experiance with this platform will know how.
for what its worth, I'm also trying to find the answer out in the raspbmc forums too.
problem fixed!...
in case anyone is looking for the answer:
The problem is getty is respawing constantly on /dev/ttyAMA0 - so stop it from doing that by:

root@raspbmc:/# vi /etc/init/ttyAMA0.conf
.. and comment out (#) the line under "respawn exec /sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100"
ie.
Code:
stop on runlevel [01456]

respawn
#exec /sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100

reboot - problem fixed.
thanks for your patience..
(2015-08-09, 01:50)aususer Wrote: I respect your stance - its not exactly specifically related to kodi, but this does appear relevant to post to the Kodi "Raspberry pi" specific forum as the issue i have appears to be ONLY on the raspi build of kodi on the pi - and I can't find out how its built or resolve it through the usual linux methods.. I'm hopeful that someone who DOES have experiance with this platform will know how.
for what its worth, I'm also trying to find the answer out in the raspbmc forums too.

Raspbmc became OSMC. Raspbmc/OSMC are just one of multiple Kodi-centric OSes. Kodi itself is not an OS. Please only post about Kodi-related topics on the Kodi forums. Otherwise, we will just remove such off-topic posts completely.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
disable getty from taking /dev/ttyAMA0 and running serial console?0