Sharing my Kodi with my kids
Hi!

I just found Kodi and I am totally blown away. It is just awesome! However, I just have one issue that I need to figure out before I can make the switch. And that is how to set it up so my kids easily can find their movies without needing to browse through all of my movies.

My current media player support directories, and I just have a directory for kids and one for grown-ups, but since I really want to use the Kodi library (I need IMDB ratings and coverart), everything gets mixed together.

What is the general solution to this issue? Is the an easy way to use profiles, or maybe multiple databases? Or is the only way to let the kids use the database, while I myself resort to browsing files (and miss out on the IMDB rating etc)?

Cheers!
I have mine set up with two folders (media and family), each with sub-folders for TV and movies. Then on my Kodi I have 4 sources, so the kids just go to either Family TV or Family Movies if they want their stuff, and for the rest it's Media TV and Media Movies.

All in one library and works fine (although I haven't bothered with setting up anything to stop the kids browsing into the media folder other than me telling them it's not stuff suitable for them at least in part - I believe in education rather than restriction).

Works for me, or there are other methods available such as using tags and filters or separate Kodi profiles for kids and for you.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Video nodes (wiki) (using the video node editor add-on to make it easy) and custom home items (wiki) (must skins support that) should give you what you want. Or, you can use profiles (wiki) to just make it as if there were different Kodi library sets.
Wow, Thanks Ned Scott! That was exactly what I was looking for!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing my Kodi with my kids0