Media Companion Sets vs. Sets Cache Issue.
Confused Good Day Folks! I wonder if I am missing something(Rhetorical Question...No Comment s Please!Laugh). I am having an issue with Movie Sets, perhaps I am missing something. If I go to the Sets tab, and Add and Remove sets to my liking, and, then go to the "main browser" window, choose a movie and then try to use the "Sets" drop down menu to choose a set for that particular Movie, it shows the original list before I added and made changes. Additionally, now, if I go back to the Sets tab/screen, the list is back to it's original list, minus my changes, What am I missing?

If I goto the xml file moviesetcache1 it is the original list without my changes. However the file moviesetcache2 has the sets according to my preferences, including the changes, I made. Other than copying the contents from one file to the other, what can I do within Media Companion to preserve any set changes or additions, I make?

I am running latest version of Media Companion v3.6.2.4 on Windows 10,
*** SOLVED ***
Ok, Got it! On the Movie Preferences Tab, I had checked the box to search for established set names..
[ ] TMDb - Where Available, Scrape for Set Name. For me, I'd prefer to create my own collection titles, so I Unchecked that box.

Of course what happens, by checking this is MC goes out to perform a scrape and in addition to everything else it scrapes, it also looks for Set ID's established by Huh - who knows, but the point is, if there more than one movie, say "A Christmas Story" and "A Christmas Story 2", these movies are considered a set and are given and ID. So any movie that has a sequel will be included as a set. So, I wound up with "The Dirty Dozen Collection" and the "Cars Collection" and the "We're the Millers Collection" and the "blah, beblah, blah collection". Now, I am a great fan of both Jennifer Aniston and Lee Marvin, but do I really want a Flubber Collection? No, I'd rather have a Peter Sellers Collection or a Sherlock Homes Collection.

So, if you have that box checked, any movie that has a Set ID, assigned from the folks who do the assigning...whomever that is, that Set will be included in the list of collections on the "Movie & Tag Sets" tab. So before, anytime I would delete Collections from the collection list on the tab, if there was just one movie, somewhere in the database, with a set defined as, say, "The Little Mermaid Collection", That Collection title would reappear in my list. WHY? I know, now!!! BECAUSE SOMEWHERE ONE OF THE MOVIES WAS ASSIGNED to the Little Mermaid Set..

Ok, so here is how it works:

1. From the MOVIE & TAG SETS tab, add the sets and collections as you wish, i.e. Charlie Chaplin Collection, Mel Brooks Movies, Vincent Price Collection, etc.

2. Again, still on the same tab, remove the collection titles you don't want to show and then return to MC's Main Browser tab. HOWEVER, do not, at this time, press the button "Repopulate from used" or MC, will, just load all those nonsensical collections back in. NOTE: Once you have completed the other steps below and need to reload YOUR updated and modified list of collections and, once you have assigned a set to those movies you wish to include in one of your custom sets collections, then by pressing "Repopulate from Used" will repopulate with your custom list. But first continue on to Step 3.

3. Back on the Main Browser Tab, for each Movie that WAS included in one of those ridiculous collections, use the "Set" drop down and choose "NONE" or if you wish, into a differing Set, that you added. *** BE SURE TO SAVE" each movie, so the set will be attached to the Movie.

*** The Default "Set", is set to none, so any movies that are singles or you determine don't belong in one of you sets, you need not have to "Set Your Set", so just skip to the next movie and decide, if it belongs in a collection. You can always, go back and forth between the two tabs...adding a new collection title(e.g. "Arghh! Pirate Movies") and then assigning the movie into that collection. AND CLICK SAVE!

Hope this helps anyone, who may be tripped up, as I was on MC "Sets".

Good Luck!
Rich

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Companion Sets vs. Sets Cache Issue.0