Mac OS X - Notification Center Remote for Kodi

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Stbbrn Offline
Hello,

Like others, I have been using the XBMC Remote Dashboard Widget to navigate Kodi. However, since the introduction of the Notification Center and its own widgets, using the dashboard got redundant so I created a simple remote that fits in OS X Notification Center.

This remote allows you to send various commands to Kodi as well as monitor the player’s progress, volume, speed and fill in text inputs. In order for the app to function, you will have to transfer the app to your Applications folder and open it to access the widget in the Notification Center. You can set it up with the right IP for your Kodi's system by clicking on the “i” in the top right corner.

[Image: whxv85S.png]

[Image: U27dZkm.png]

List of commands:
  • left - left
  • right - right
  • down - down
  • up - up
  • return - select
  • back - back
  • h - home
  • x / s - stop
  • c / m - context menu
  • i - info
  • x / s - stop
  • space - play/pause
  • f / shift+left - forward player progress
  • b / shift+right - backward player progress
  • shift+down - volume down
  • shift+up - volume up
  • p - play previous item in playlist
  • n - play next item in playlist
  • shift+r - restart
  • cmd+v - add youtube or vimeo video to the playlist from a link in the clipboard
  • u - update video library

> Download OSX Remote for Kodi <
For now the app is not signed and may trigger security issues. You can find the source files here.

I hope you enjoy the app! Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 2016-04-24 16:28 by Stbbrn.)
find quote
Stbbrn Offline
Update :
Playlist management added
More keyboard commands added
Some issues have been corrected.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and allows me to further improve this app.
Thanks.
find quote
Stbbrn Offline
Update :
Vimeo and youtube support added : You can now copy/paste a link of one or another on the widget to add the video to the playlist (or play it right away if nothing is playing)
shift + r : restart the target's os.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and allows me to further improve this app.
Thanks.
find quote
Hustler1337 Offline
Fan
Wow, can't believe I never saw this. Great work on the Notification Centre remote. Works pretty well. I've been using the Dashboard widget for the Mac, but yours seems more convenient, better designed and more convenient than the Dashboard version.

As you've requested suggestions for further improvements, I'd like to request the following:

- Replacing the "Input text from keyboard" article with an actual text input box where we can edit the content of the text from within the Notification Centre and then submit it. For example, delete, select etc. from within the Notification centre. Currently, the editing is done via the on-screen text entry keyboard only.

-Keyboard shortcuts - adding 'X' to stop playback. Also, maybe replacing 'M' with 'C' for context menu, like it is with the default Kodi shortcuts.

- This is very minor, but perhaps you could include a tiny label to display now playing position and title. e.g. "05:47/50:00 The Walking Dead".

Other than that, it's a great app. Will definitely be using frequently. Thanks Stbbrn Wink
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-26 18:16 by Hustler1337.)
find quote
Stbbrn Offline
Thanks for that comment! It's nice to hear some feedback Smile

Indeed, a text box with a send button may be more convenient in the long run. I will probably switch to that soon. Note that you can still copy/paste text to Kodi with the curent app by using cmd+v when it asks you to "input text from keyboard".

About the shortcuts : I will probably set them up based on the past widget for more convenience, as you suggest. I'll also add an option in the settings to remap them as the user wants them to be.

I'll find a way to display the position and label of the playing video/song, this sounds also good to me Smile
find quote
Hustler1337 Offline
Fan
Thanks for your receptiveness to the suggestions Stbbrn. And yeh, I already use the CMD+C/V, it was just that you couldn't edit pasted text from within the widget that was kind of bugging and unintuitive, so a text box would solve that problem. I think the remap option would be too much functionality for a widget, though it's up to you if you wish to add that functionality. The current shortcuts are great, it just needed a few more core shortcuts.

Thanks once again, and I look forward to it. I use this widget almost daily, it's so convenient! Big Grin
find quote
Stbbrn Offline
Update :
"s" and "x" as keyboard commands to stop what's playing. There was already a keyboard shortcut that I forgot to mention.
A digital progress indicator over the progress bar.
A text box for Kodi's text inputs.

Thanks for the feedbacks.
(This post was last modified: 2016-04-04 21:53 by Stbbrn.)
find quote
brjaga Offline
Awesome! I've been looking for something like this. Do you know if there's any way to capture the play/back/forwards keys on the keyboard?
find quote
Stbbrn Offline
Sorry, I'm not sure about what does capturing those keys on the keyboard mean. If it's about using keyboard shortcuts to navigate a video, this is already implemented.

Although there might be a trick : you need to give the "focus" to the widget so it can catch keyboards events. To do so, open the Notification Center as usual and either click on the widget or press TAB several times.

Quote:
  • x / s - stop
  • space - play/pause
  • f / shift+left - forward player progress
  • b / shift+right - backward player progress

I hope this is answering your question.
(This post was last modified: 2016-04-24 16:33 by Stbbrn.)
find quote