Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo
Exclamation 
This seems like an issue that could come up more and more in the future as the community gets bigger, I'm hoping it can resolved amicably without prejudice.

It seems that about a month ago someone submitted a copy of the USTVnow add-on (which we've been maintaining for over 2 years) to the official Kodi repository, and now updates are conflicting on a regular basis.

We've been maintaining this addon for over two years now, and all of a sudden all our users received this other update (which in our opinion isn't as user friendly) because everyone has the Kodi repository installed, and the same addon ID was used.

Since the version in the Kodi repository was just added, and we've had so many installs on our version, I'd like to kindly and respectfully ask that the addon ID for the version in the Kodi repository be changed as to not conflict with our updates to hundreds of thousands of users.

Further proof of our long term support of this add-on is demonstrated by the fact that official USTVnow documentation links to our web site for the XBMC addon: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions
you should get in touch with Lunatixz and try to resolve this issue with him.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I just sent him a PM linking to this thread.
Actually as of August 2015, I have become the officially supported plugin for USTVnow. I've been in personal contact with the company and can provide documentation to the fact.

Below is an example of how USTVnow tech support redirects to my repo, This was prior to my submission to Kodi repository. In fairness thats where the plugin should be... in the official repository, as it belongs to the community.

https://slimgur.com/images/2015/07/17/b3...82ffb0.png

If you need further proof of my dealings with USTVnow, I can privately supply information to whomever needs it...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Eleazer, Since you brought all this up... With all respect can we clear up your "two year maintenance" of the program? it has consisted of only adding bloated forum advertisements. No enhancements have been made to the plugin itself and it remains outdated compared with mine, I've maintained the plugin from the perspective of improving it universally, which is why it's been the preferred plugin on both forums. Plenty of forum posts can testify to this fact.

Your recent force push of outdated, bloated code... a build you bumped from v.3.7 to v.11 just to compete with my kodi repo version. Caused a nightmare of issues because it wasn't functional and it was outdated!. Just read the complaints on your own forum... IMO the move was not in good spirit. The fact that you pass the blame onto me is humours.

BTW, I want to go on record as saying this code is open source and a majority of it was written by t0mm0. I see no reason to claim the code as mine or yours, and It should be left in the official repository for all to enjoy!
In this case I think Lunatixz clearly has the better claim to the add-on ID.

However, in the future maybe we should consider something like what Android and various linux repos do. and have something like com/org + author/group + name. Think "plugin.video.nedscott.ustvnow" or whatever. Maybe just one day encourage people to voluntarily do this, as it doesn't seem like a huge issue just yet, but could potentially resolve other situations that might not as clear as this one in the future. While the Kodi add-on repo would still probably not want multiple youtube, ustvnow, or PBS add-ons, it would help for those multi-repo situations.

Just a thought.
I don't see how a screenshot of a private discussion with customer service could trump the web site itself's official documentation that has linked to our site for over two years: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions

At least, until USTVnow changes their documentation to reflect otherwise, it would be in good form for the official repository to at least change it to a unique addon ID, since we have clearly had it in our repo, and installed to almost a million devices, beginning over two years ago.

If they change their documentation, we'll gladly change our addon ID out of respect.
I have to ask, but since Lunatixz is now maintaining the add-on, what reason do you have to maintain your own? Especially now that it is in the default kodi.tv repo? Shouldn't this be a happy situation where there is one less add-on for you guys to worry about? It sounds like Lunatixz's version is much better, anyways. If all this is to just help provide a resource to the community, then where is the problem?

I don't think you have the best interests of the users in mind. tvaddons wants credit and attention. You guys want to feed your egos. Why else is there tvaddons spam advertisements plastered all over these add-ons? Do you just want someone to love you? That's "a bit" sociopathic. Someone once said that to me about you and tvaddons, and every time something like this happens, it makes more and more sense.
We've done a lot of work updating and providing support for this addon over the years and whether his is "better" is a matter of personal preference, I can tell you that if we asked the add-on users to vote there would definitely be more people saying ours is much easier and more user friendly, whereas his is quite basic.

We don't want credit or attention, nor do we spam over this or any other add-on. The only people that receive "notices" once in a blue moon are those who specifically ran our community configuration tool such as the Config Wizard or Addon Installer.

It's still a matter of principle regardless and your response insinuating that I'm "sociopathic" for bringing this up amicably, when someone pushed an update out of nowhere when we've been maintaining and promoting that addon for several years already (in addition to being the ONLY site mentioned in official USTVnow documentation), is just insulting and bullyish in my opinion.

Personally I think it would be better in the official repo, but just pushing an update out of nowhere with an addon ID that someone else has been maintaining and supporting for years, wasn't the way to go about it, and some changes that would make it much more user friendly should be considered.
It's the worst when people use a name when you don't want them to...
ymmd thx Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-11, 05:35)Eleazar Coding Wrote: I don't see how a screenshot of a private discussion with customer service could trump the web site itself's official documentation that has linked to our site for over two years: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions

At least, until USTVnow changes their documentation to reflect otherwise, it would be in good form for the official repository to at least change it to a unique addon ID, since we have clearly had it in our repo, and installed to almost a million devices, beginning over two years ago.

If they change their documentation, we'll gladly change our addon ID out of respect.

The screenshot that was posted here was the only public example I was willing to share, I told you I can provide proof if need be.
As far as id's go, No harm was meant, Honestly what's the deal anyway? isn't it in everyone's best interest to leave one copy in the official repo? Might as well make it easy for the user?
IMO add-ons should be in official repo if they meet the criteria, as it's the best from a users point of view. So thanks Lunatixz.
All of this is opensource, the code as lunatixz said wasn't originally written by any of you, both addons can co-exist. There is a reason why the official repo is the official repo, it should take priority over any 3rd party repository due to the code revision and control. Also I fail to understand why this addon hasn't been submited by you to the repository in the past 2 years before someone did. You could have avoided this easily. Which brings the idea your site doesn't really exist for the "community" (exception made to 1 or 2 devs) but for self promotion only.
Funny as you complain with a troube caused by this addon to some of your users but fail to understand the harm your site has done to kodi (and kodi channels) with that wizzard stuff over the years.
As I said, our add-on was quite different and already installed to many more users in the first place, I just don't see it as fair to the users who installed our addon and all of a sudden years later are getting updates from a different developer; nor to us who supported and promoted this add-on. In addition to the fact that USTVnow's site has been linking to ours for years: https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/2199...structions

The add-ons are very different, ours is quite user friendly and I think that users who have been using it for years clearly prefer to have the version they installed in use, not some other version that all of a sudden out of nowhere updated itself on their system.

If we thought you would have accepted ours (which in the past it's been made clear that nothing from our site would be accepted), we would have submitted it long ago to your repo.

It would really be appreciated if the addon ID could be simply changed, that would avoid all issues on both ends.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Conflict with New USTVnow Addon in Official Repo0