TV multi-episode files want to play twice
I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere, I have searched and read the wiki and searched some more.

I have the feature turned on that plays the next episode automatically and this works well except with any TV series that has multiple episodes in one file, at which point the episode will start over after the first playthrough. Is it possible to get these series to autoplay without repeating those episodes? Using the bookmark feature does not seem to overcome this and I am using the proper naming conventions etc.

I'll split the files if I have to but I'm just hoping I missed something obvious. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
It's probably just a shortcoming to how multi-episode files are handled. It could be considered a bug from a usage standpoint, but a fix will likely need additional code to help kodi understand when an episode "ends" within a single multi-part file.
(2015-08-11, 06:33)Ned Scott Wrote: It's probably just a shortcoming to how multi-episode files are handled. It could be considered a bug from a usage standpoint, but a fix will likely need additional code to help kodi understand when an episode "ends" within a single multi-part file.

I was afraid of that. I would be happy if it just went on to the next file when one ends regardless of the episodes that may or may not be contained within that file.
@justin544, I took a stab at your "<epbookmark> working oddly for me" thread just a minute ago; it may be helpful.

(2015-08-11, 06:33)Ned Scott Wrote: [...] but a fix will likely need additional code to help kodi understand when an episode "ends" within a single multi-part file.

Ned, I've never delved into Kodi's code; would you happen to know the best place/person to begin learning how to correct this default behavior within Kodi? It seems pretty simple to correct: either use the tags <epbookmark> in conjunction with <runtime> to denote the beginning and length of an episode within a multi-episode file, or allow for a new tag, such as <ependbookmark> to allow for the same functionality. The first example seems to do the trick; its just that Kodi doesn't use it...

What Justin & I want is to pay for an episode off iTunes (or similar service), have Regular Show's multi-part file that we just paid for read properly by Kodi--our favorite HTPC software--use the Library entries as separate entities, but both refer to *different* parts of the same file--and only that episode's section. Maybe later Kodi could automatically read .mkv's chapter functionality for that container, but to begin with, using existing .nfo files to get the job done (and if Kodi could generate them if there's a database that would store existing info, that'd be great--why not, right?).
[EDIT] Seems Kodi has user-friendly Episode Bookmarking: Episode Bookmarks, but it doesn't look like it automatically exports the bookmark to an nfo file...

Currently, Kodi adds a Library entry for each episode denoted in the file name, unless overridden by an .nfo. However, Kodi lacks just one function to get the desired result from multi-part files: to *stop* playback for that particular Library entry at a specified "end of episode" time/timestamp. That's all we need. As far as I can see, at least.

Again Ned, if you could point me in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks in advance!!
Well, upon further thinking, couldn't Kodi simply assume, by the number of <epbookmark> tags within a given .nfo denote the number of episodes minus one (e.g. 5 <epbookmark> tags = a 6-episode file - 1, or 5 + 1 = 6)? In other words, its always assumed that the first episode begins at 0:00, and the second episode begins with the first appearance of <epbookmark>, episode 3 at the second occurrence of <epbookmark> and so on. So, the end of the first episode is the second before the 2nd episode begins. Kodi simply needs to stop playback for each Library entry at the next <epbookmark>'s timestamp - 1 second.

Episode 3 would start at the second <epbookmark> tag of:
"<epbookmark>22:00</epbookmark>"
and Kodi should assume to stop playback of episode 3 either when it reaches EOF (end of file) or the following <epbookmark>:
"<epbookmark>33:00</epbookmark>" - 1

Seems like a "duh," but felt like a friggen epiphany at the time...
Sorry, I'm not a coder myself. I can try to poke someone who knows this area, though.
(2015-08-25, 16:55)Ned Scott Wrote: Sorry, I'm not a coder myself. I can try to poke someone who knows this area, though.

You'd be awesome--thanks!
I don't expect them to want to handle it: I'm more than happy to get my hands dirty
Hello.
I also encountered this problem on KODI 16.0.
There is a solution to this problem? Can open a bug report?
My addons: Gismeteo
Was a bug report ever opened? Has this been fixed in Kodi 17?
Dragging up an old thread but is there an option to fix this?

I have my son's TV's series on my TV and when he puts on a show which is multi-episode it plays through fine then plays the same multi-episode file again as it's listed as 2 files with the same name in Kodi.
I.e.
E04. Race to the top of the world (1)
E05. Race to the top of the world (2)

I have it configured to play the next episode automatically.

Any help appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV multi-episode files want to play twice0