New HTPC! Help needed
Hello,

I'm getting into the world of Kodi.
I'm a little freak with sound systems and now i want to build a new HTPC to connect to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR616).
So I want to build a system that is capable of HD Audio passthrough and properly play 4k video!
And I don't want to install Windows!

I'm thinking install the Motherboard Asus H97M-PLUS and Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz.
For now i don't want to spend noney in dedicated GPU. I will buy a case from Silverstone, BluRay player and a decent HDD.

My mainly concern is to know if that board and CPU can handle 4k and HD Audio passthrough for my Onkyo.

Any other sugestions are well accepted. Wink
Hi @baceira, welcome to the forum!

(2015-08-11, 13:12)baceira Wrote: So I want to build a system that is capable of HD Audio passthrough and properly play 4k video!
I highly suggest you read FAQ: what hardware to get for 4K if you haven't already to understand all caveats associated with 4K playback.

The Onkyo TX-NR616 supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so you are good for 4K protected content up to 4K@60Hz, you should choose a HTPC that ticks those boxes as well. In the x86 land that would mean Intel Skylake with and appropriate motherboard or going for a NVIDIA Maxwell GM206 graphic card (e.g. GTX 960). Note that Intel Skylake is not able to hardware decode HVEC 10-bit.
And if I go to this configuration HD Audio is granted or exists issues about that?

By your words i understand that CPU's with full 4k support there are only the Intel Skylake!

What do you think of the Asus H97M-PLUS and Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz and later upgrade with a decent GPU?

For now my real concern is with HD Audio.
Intel CPUs usually support HD Audio but I would read Skylake reviews to be sure. Not sure about the GTX 960.

Not really, Intel Skylake does not support hardware HVEC 10-bit decoding which will be used in 4K blu-ray discs, so I woudn't call it "full 4k support". Sorry to insist but please read FAQ: what hardware to get for 4K to get the full picture.

I don't have any particular opinion about the Asus H97M-PLUS and Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz but in general I wouldn't recommend such a powerful CPU. HTPC's don't need powerful CPUs which consume lots of power and are noisy due to noisier cooling fans. For example, a popular choice in the forum is the Haswell Celeron 2955U Chromebox which can play everything well apart from 4K HEVC. It's more about choosing a processor (or GPU) with the right combination of supported codecs than about choosing powerful CPUs.
(2015-08-11, 13:12)baceira Wrote: I will buy a case from Silverstone, BluRay player.....
Don't buy a BluRay Player otherwise if I'm not mistaken, you will need to run Windows to use it !
Rip BluRays and store them on a NAS, otherwise just use a dedicated stand alone player.

Can a gtx 750ti (first maxwell) play 4k hevc?
If you are even half serious about doing a full blown HTPC and 4k, you need to be looking into the Nvidia 900 series.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC! Help needed0