Thor, a new H.265 codec
Don't quite know where to put this, or if it of any interest to users; I'll just lay it out straight.

I find it encouraging that Cisco is working on a new H.265 codec, named Thor that will be royalty free

This should make life easier for foundations such as the Raspberry Pi Foundation open-source projects that want to want to create hardware/software with support for H.265. You may recall the lack of DTS hardware decoding on Raspberry Pi due to the nature in which they license the codec. Mozilla will also be able to provide a non-proprietary H.265 codec in Firefox with this I presume. It's good to hear that Cisco is releasing the codec on the website http://thor-codec.org

All of this is in the article, just listing some of the points I found interesting. It's too early to tell if this will have any significant effect on streaming and I'm not knowledgable in this particular area.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Credit where credit is due, I originally read about this on the awesome blog Phoronix
Nice!
My understanding it that Thor is not an H.265 implementation but a different codec based on patents Cisco holds (but to be royalty-free). Similar goals as Daala, and the codec that comes out of the NetVC workgroup will probably incorporate features from both.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thor, a new H.265 codec0