Req VisPy Visualization support
I'm fairly new to opengl and c/c++ development but wanted to create a Visualization for Kodi for
a very long time (started a few days ago).

For everyone with lots of experience in c/c++ and opengl it might be a "easy" task to create a Visualization
but as of the pure lake of Visualizations I'd say there are not a whole lot out there who have this kind
of experience and feel like creating some for Kodi.

That's why I think it would be awesome to create Visualizations using VisPy
Why?
1. Python is included in Kodi anyway/Unix systems come with python pre-installed
2. It's OpenGL again, so cross-platform
3. Python is much easier to write (IMHO)
4. There are a lot of people already creating addons (python) for Kodi so why not visualizations as well?
I probably could come up with more reasons but for now I leave it like that.

With my lake of experience with opengl and Kodis source-based I'm really not sure if it would be possible to
integrate VisPy, but if it is, I bet this would bump the amount of visualizations for Kodi drastically.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this Smile

cheers,
Tadly
If it was easy, then we would have a lot of visulizations and we don't Wink

So its not, but good luck in what you do. Please document everything and hopefully others can build on your work in the future.
Hm.. too bad :/

Well thanks, let's see how far I get until I'm throwing the towel ^^
If I happen to get all done I'll try my best on documenting stuff
@zag
Forgot to ask one, for me, very important thing. (As the forum says you'r a Team-Kodi member, I hope you can answer that question ^^)

My visualization will have some "unusual" dependencies (like SOIL, dirent and in the future some to fetch images from the web).
Those deps most certainly will not be available on each system per default.
So my question is, what would be the suggested way of including them within the addon?

All currently available visualization are included within Kodi itself (at least that's the case for linux) but if I want the visualization to be available
through Kodis repository, I'm not sure on how to include those dependencies.
People told me that it's very bad to static link all dependencies within the final binary so I'm not sure on how I'd properly distribute those

Hope that made sense what I've been rambling about ^^
Sorry I didn't reply to this at the time, I'll bring it up with the team and the OpenELEC team as well.

This seems like something we should be including if it allows better vizulizations.
(2015-11-20, 00:42)zag Wrote: Sorry I didn't reply to this at the time, I'll bring it up with the team and the OpenELEC team as well.

This seems like something we should be including if it allows better vizulizations.

No problem..
I learned at least a tiny little bit more by now ^^
dirent I should be able to replace with methodes provided by kodi (just have to find them)

SOIL would be interesting though as I'm guessing there aren't any Kodi methodes related to loading images into opengl textures.
I've seen a few (2 maybe 3?) screen-saver add-ons who utilize SOIL as well. So they would benefit from it being included too Smile
Not sure if this helps, but OpenELEC already has the package

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...package.mk

Apparently you have to build your stuff against it.
(2015-11-20, 11:26)zag Wrote: Not sure if this helps, but OpenELEC already has the package

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...package.mk

Apparently you have to build your stuff against it.

Oh.. interesting.
But as of this comment by wisler I'll most certainly look into stb_image
which should make everything much easier Smile
If you need soil, you just have to specify it in your addons depends. Look at how the other visualizations do that. should be a simple copy from there.
(2015-11-20, 13:19)wsnipex Wrote: If you need soil, you just have to specify it in your addons depends. Look at how the other visualizations do that. should be a simple copy from there.

I'm not sure if I know what you mean. Huh
But I'm totally fine with using stb_image as alternative.
I already did a quick-and-dirty test with it and so far it works really well and as said before, it will in fact make my life a little easier Smile
+1
(2015-11-20, 13:44)Tadly Wrote:
(2015-11-20, 13:19)wsnipex Wrote: If you need soil, you just have to specify it in your addons depends. Look at how the other visualizations do that. should be a simple copy from there.

I already did a quick-and-dirty test with it and so far it works really well and as said before, it will in fact make my life a little easier Smile

see https://github.com/notspiff/screensaver....ommon/SOIL
with this definitions, our addon build system will automatically download and build soil so you can link against it.
(2015-11-20, 14:34)wsnipex Wrote:
(2015-11-20, 13:44)Tadly Wrote:

see https://github.com/notspiff/screensaver....ommon/SOIL
with this definitions, our addon build system will automatically download and build soil so you can link against it.

Ooooooh I see. That's an interesting way of doing it
Thanks for letting me know Smile
@tadly if you want you can read more about our build system here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...ons/README
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VisPy Visualization support1