How to get the codec in!
OK so I have the key for an MPEG codec. I'm running a PC with windows 10 if I plug the SD card in all I get is a miniscule partition with no config txt file, I'm guessing it's hidden, how do I get to see and edit itHuh?
What kodi distribution are you using (openelec/osmc/raspbian)?
Are you using NOOBS?
I'm using openelec, and I installed via NOOBS, but cant see how to get to a command line I'm using a Pi2 and trying to install the codec via my pc.
use the addon: http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/DLgbUVjc/file.html
Is that the Leopold addon? Best to install it from the official repo (so you get updates) rather than a random internet download. Head here.
Or if you want to do it manually, see the wiki page - Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#Enabling_additional_video_codecs (wiki) for details.

The unofficial add-on mentioned there is Leopold's one which @popcornmix mentioned above, and is very good and simple to use.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Been there and looked at that, it still doesn't tell me how to get to the command line or read the SD card on my PC. It's no use pointing me at some marvelous piece of code if I can't install it.

Even the wiki page Darren has pointed me to doesn't tell me how to get to the config.txt file.
Instal de addon... from zip and type code in the addon... eazy as...
I guess because you're using NOOBS - which creates multiple partitions - your Windows PC can't access the OpenELEC boot partition as Windows only "sees" the first partition and ignores all others, so you'll have to edit config.txt from within OpenELEC (using the add-on, or install PuTTY on your PC and connect to OpenELEC from your PC using ssh). The add-on is likely to be your best option if you're not familiar with Linux.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Go on where and how do I "instal de addon" if I can't get into the SD cardHuh? Not really "eazy as" if you've never touched a Pi or openelec or KODI before. Can anyone post a step by step guide, how to what additional software I will need etc.
@richmc one problem with your question is there are a hundred ways of solving it. Without knowing what you know how to do it's hard to know what the simplest method is.

One way is to use NOOBS. Boot up but press shift during boot, which should boot into NOOBS. From here there is a config.txt editor. See "Easy Config File Editor" here.

Alternatively you can download the addon zip file on your PC. Copy it to openelec's Samba share (perhaps the downloads directory), and then from openelec use system/add-ons and install from zip file. Browse to /storage/downloads.
(2015-08-12, 19:46)richmc Wrote: Go on where and how do I "instal de addon" if I can't get into the SD cardHuh? Not really "eazy as" if you've never touched a Pi or openelec or KODI before. Can anyone post a step by step guide, how to what additional software I will need etc.

Jesus. Please, less of the attitude.

Download the repository zip to your PC. Connect to OpenELEC using Windows File Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) - enter \\<ipaddress-of-your-pi> in the address bar. Copy the zip into the Downloads folder.

Now go to your Pi. Go to Settings > Add-ons, click on "Install from zip file". Navigate to Home files > downloads and select the zip. Now you've got Leopolds repository installed on your Pi. Go into his repository and install the Config add-on. Installing via the repository means the add-on will be automatically updated whenever a new version is released.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@richmc - the links I gave you in the RaspberryPi.org thread walk you through adding Leopold's install and using PuTTY.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Milhouse you are a star! and popcorn I will try that, probably tomorrow.
Sorry for the "attitude" but I had asked three times how to actually do it, one problem with tech forums is far too many members assume they are talking to someone as savvy as themselves.
And give my regards to Bart. :-)
And thanks Darren, have had a look at the Pi thread that makes a lot of sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get the codec in!0