OpenELEC 5.95 on Intel NUC i5 (3rd gen)
I was using Kodi 15.0 on a Windows 8.1 desktop computer for a few months and everything worked flawlessly. This morning I got an Intel NUC (3rd gen i5). I'm using a 60gb SSD and 4gb of 1.35V RAM. I installed OpenELEC 5.95 general build and set-up Kodi. I have 1 major issue, 1 minor issue and 1 missing feature now that I'm using OpenELEC.

Major Issue: Some of my concert videos (Large Blu-ray rips muxed to MKV files with chapters) play audio only. The video portion never starts. The screen remains where it was when you selected the video. All of these videos played perfectly with Windows 8.1 on my old desktop computer.

Missing Feature: I used to press F10 on my wireless Logitech K400 keyboard to mute audio. With this new setup, pressing F10 shows a red speaker in the top corner as if it's muting audio but it isn't. Is there a way to mute audio on my new setup ?

In Kodi's Video Acceleration settings, there are quite a few choices and they are all selected. I'm not sure the correct setup for OpenELEC and Intel NUC i5. Could this be the reason the video doesn't play on some of my large (>20gb) videos ?

Minor Issue: The video looks a little (hot) (whites too white) on this new setup compared to my Windows 8.1 Desktop. I don't know if it's the OpenELEC graphics driver or a setting I'm not using.
I used to run OpenElec on my NUC i5. In terms of the Video Settings I always had all the VAAPI settings enabled as I understand those are for Intel. You should leave the VDPAU disabled. I personally never had any issues running OpenElec. Everything seemed to work great -out the box- The only reason that I moved over to Ubuntu server was there were some programs/services that I wanted to run outside of Kodi (MySQL, etc) that I couldn't figure out how to do on OpenElec..

Not sure what to tell you about the mute issue.
I went through each and every video setting and found the one that was killing the video during playback of some of my large Blu-ray to mkv rips. "Use VC-1 VAAPI" was the culprit. Once it was disabled, all my videos play perfectly.

I'm not a forum member over at OpenELEC and I hope it's OK to ask questions here.

I still need help muting audio using the keyboard.

Anyone ?
When passthrough audio is active kodi's volume control does abolutely nothing - as the AVR manages everything. Disable passthrough - then you can use the keyboard to mute.

Concerning VC-1: You have found a VC-1 interlaced bluray iso, that VAAPI cannot decode (on linux) :-) very rare nowadays, but 5.95.3 falls back to multi core decoding - so you have luck in that case.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-12, 20:36)fritsch Wrote: When passthrough audio is active kodi's volume control does abolutely nothing - as the AVR manages everything. Disable passthrough - then you can use the keyboard to mute.

Concerning VC-1: You have found a VC-1 interlaced bluray iso, that VAAPI cannot decode (on linux) :-) very rare nowadays, but 5.95.3 falls back to multi core decoding - so you have luck in that case.

Thanks for the reply.

The MUTE function did work with my Windows 8.1 machine. I used hdmi passthrough in both cases. The volume up/dn feature did not work and I don't need that but I would like to mute from time to time.

Is there a way to enable just MUTE in my setup ?
Not possible.

We have no control on passthrough streams - you should get a notice on stream whenever you do volume handling and passthrough is in use.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-12, 21:30)fritsch Wrote: Not possible.

We have no control on passthrough streams - you should get a notice on stream whenever you do volume handling and passthrough is in use.

Well, I am not making it up. The mute function worked perfectly with Windows 8.1 and hdmi audio passthrough enabled in Kodi. The only thing I think may have happened was the keyboard's mute function was telling Windows (not Kodi) to mute the audio and it did !

I need a way to tell OpenELEC to mute audio with the press of a key.
I ordered a Logitech Harmony 650 and a Flirc USB Receiver. I'll assign the volume up/dn and mute keys to my AVR and the other keys to operate Kodi. My muting problem should be solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC 5.95 on Intel NUC i5 (3rd gen)0