Any decent SMALL tablets w/removable storage running Kodi?
I've been blissfully ignoring tables for years, ever since the first ones arrived on the scene, but now I've found at least one good excuse to buy one. I recently bought a very nice, and very sophisticated new/used digital camera. Unfortunately, the manual for it is like 250 pages long. In the last day or two I've managed to figure out that there simply is no PDF reader available anymore for my my trusty old iPhone 3GS... probably by intent. (I'm sure that the world's most valuable company would love me to spend hundreds to buy a newer phone from them, but I am not interested. Besides, the screens are too small for good perusing of a big PDF.)

The good news, of course, is that most tablets have a PDF reader app available.

So anyway, now I'm looking at small (6 or 7 inch) tablets. But ideally, I'd like to find one that (a) can run Kodi at least well enough to play back (legal) SD DVD rips and that has some way of getting such things into the device in the first place. (And no, I do not wish to try transferring multi-gigabyte files to a device using Wi-Fi. I would rather watch paint dry.)

So, um, what are my options?

So far, just from googling around I've learned that the Amazon and Google tablets have been either intentionally designed or intentionally hobbled in a ways that (a) exclude SDHC card readers and that (b) make it impossible to use external USB sticks with these things. So far, the only possibility that seems to be viable, given my requirements, are Samsung Galaxy Tabs... like either the 3 or the 4, both of which sport SDHC readers, and both of which can be had for cheap, used, on eBay. But after having googled for some time, I'll still be damed if I can figure out whether or not Kodi is available (and works well enough for SD ISO playback) on, for example, The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7.0. I see people asking about this device here in the Kodi fora, but not getting any definitive responses. I may not have any better luck than they did, but I'll ask (again) anyway... Is there a version of Kodi available (anywhere) that will run well enough on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 to allow it to do smooth playback of SD ISOs?

Or alternatively, if anybody has any suggestions for different devices I should be looking at, I'm all ears. But whatever it is, it has to be small. Seven inch is already a bit bigger than I'd like.

P.S. As noted above, my primary motivation for even looking at tablets is just to have a nice (inexpensive) portable device that can let me read & search PDF documents. But if I'm going to be buying one anyway, it just seems sensible for me to try to pick one that can also run Kodi and do SD ISO playback well.
It might help others give you some advice if you let us know where in the world you are based.

That way people located in similar areas may be able to offer advice.

For example in the UK you can pick up a Tesco Hudl2 tablet (android based with Intel processor) new for about £99 or refurbished for about £79. It has a microSD slot and you can also use external storage via an OTG (on-the-go) adapter.

However at around 8" that will be too big for your requirements.

There's also Windows 7" tablets available for similar amounts.
I'm in California.
My daughter runs galaxy tab. Kodi runs fine and she streams off my nas from anyplace in the world with wifi. No need to copy stuff. Just connect to my home nas and she has the entire lib thats also available at home
Any tablet now a days should easily handle SD playback and most will do HD Playback perfectly fine at least with h264 content.
I have a Samsung 4, 7" (SM-T230NU), Android 4.4.2. I am using it with Kodi 15.0, connected wirelessly through a Belkin router to a Synolgy NAS where I house my movies, tv shows and music. I use MySQL (MariaDB actually) to keep libraries in sync among the tablet, a NUC in the den, and an AppleTV in my bedroom (this last one running Kodi 14.2, I believe).

The whole set up works like a charm.

I bought the tablet at Barnes & Noble in NY last October. I paid $169.

Hope this helps!
(2015-08-13, 01:57)juanolcese Wrote: I have a Samsung 4, 7" (SM-T230NU), Android 4.4.2. I am using it with Kodi 15.0, connected wirelessly through a Belkin router to a Synolgy NAS where I house my movies, tv shows and music. I use MySQL (MariaDB actually) to keep libraries in sync among the tablet, a NUC in the den, and an AppleTV in my bedroom (this last one running Kodi 14.2, I believe).

Hope this helps!

Does MySQL sync properly accross didferent versions of kodi? My understanding is that it requiires same version kodi on all boxes that share d lib (for reason of needing to have exact same data model in d db which is not guaranteed between diff build numbers....
(2015-08-13, 09:30)Miguix Wrote:
(2015-08-13, 01:57)juanolcese Wrote: I have a Samsung 4, 7" (SM-T230NU), Android 4.4.2. I am using it with Kodi 15.0, connected wirelessly through a Belkin router to a Synolgy NAS where I house my movies, tv shows and music. I use MySQL (MariaDB actually) to keep libraries in sync among the tablet, a NUC in the den, and an AppleTV in my bedroom (this last one running Kodi 14.2, I believe).

Hope this helps!

Does MySQL sync properly accross didferent versions of kodi? My understanding is that it requiires same version kodi on all boxes that share d lib (for reason of needing to have exact same data model in d db which is not guaranteed between diff build numbers....

You are absolutely right. Libraries (additions and watched status) sync properly on the two devices running Isengard (NUC and tablet) but not on the AppleTV. I hadn't used it much lately, but just checked and shows I watched last night on the tablet still appear as unwatched on the ATV.
I have a Linx 7 which I got for £59 somehow through an offer. Comes with Windows 8.1 with Bing (and a year of Office 365 which includes a licence for a second machine) but I've upgraded to Windows 10. It has a uSD slot, a Micro HDMI slot (which supports dual display mode), and a USB OTG which can be BIOS switched to allow simultaneous USB Power and USB peripheral connection. 1366x768 internal display (I think) Built in WiFi and Bluetooth, and works with external USB Ethernet connection too.

It came with 32GB of internal storage and 1GB of RAM. It runs Kodi really well as a tablet, and also works well feeding an HDMI display in single screen mode in 1920x1080 (i.e. switch off tablet screen and only use HDMI screen). I notice a few stutters when running Kodi in dual display mode with the Windows desktop extended across both displays. It does only have 1GB of RAM...

Great little thing to take on the road for connecting to hotel TVs - which I did for the last 4 days.

Suspect with a bit of work you could install OpenElec on it too (or dual boot with a USB keyboard connected) - though there may be the usual 32bit UEFI issues to handle.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any decent SMALL tablets w/removable storage running Kodi?0