Wifi & LAN networking issues
Hi all,

I'm struggling to sort out some network issues after having to change component of my network around to fix some streaming issues and I'm after a bit of quick help if I may please.

My (condensed) scenario is that I have a Raspberry Pi 2 running Kodi (OpenElec 5.93.3 - 15rc) in the bedroom, connected via EoP to my Windows 8.1 based Media PC (into ethernet card) located on the level below. The Media PC is then connected via Wireless dongle to my modem/router in yet another room (the joys of renting....).

Settings:
Raspberry Pi: 192.168.0.4
Media PC: Ethernet = 192.168.0.5; Wifi = 192.168.0.6; Gateway = 192.168.0.1
Modem/Router: 192.168.0.1

Subnet 255.255.255.0 on all devices

I have tried software bridging the two adapters on the Media PC via Windows ICS, however I'm struggling to get internet connectivity to the RPi. I have tried changing the gateway on the RPi to both 192.168.0.1 and .6, but with no luck. I'm hoping that this is possible via software rather than adding another switch or more devices, but I'm not very network experienced.

The only way I can be sure to get them running is to run the EoP into the modem/router - however this then means that it needs to stream from the Media PC via Wireless before hitting the Eop, so not fantastic.

I've also tried Internet Connection Sharing however the RPi doesn't get assigned a DHCP IP address, and still will not connect when given a static IP in the same range.

I also require the RPi to be on the same IP range as the router so that I can utilise smartphones as the remote over wifi.

I feel I'm close to sorting this but it's not playing nice - any ideas or advice would be appreciated, as I'm not much of a network guru.

(I've created an image of the network I'd like below)

Thanks!
I have made some progress, and the RPi can now connect to the internet and also the Media PC to stream.

The only problem remains is that I now cannot seem to access the RPi via smartphone as a remote.

Here are the current settings:

MEDIA PC

Wifi:

IP=192.168.0.6 (DHCP assigned)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1
Windows Internet Connection Sharing active

Ethernet:

IP=192.168.0.5 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1

RASPBERRY PI

IP=192.168.0.4 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.5

I'm assuming that there is a problem port forwarding or routing to the RPi from the router... does this sound correct?
Is money an issue? If not I'd just do this properly and buy/install a third Powerline device connecting your router to the Powerline network, that way the RPi can connect directly to the internet (via the router), and/or it can connect directly to the Media PC. Your smartphone devices will connect to the Pi via the router (assuming your router has WiFi). Etc.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-13, 04:41)Milhouse Wrote: Is money an issue? If not I'd just do this properly and buy/install a third Powerline device connecting your router to the Powerline network, that way the RPi can connect directly to the internet (via the router), and/or it can connect directly to the Media PC. Your smartphone devices will connect to the Pi via the router (assuming your router has WiFi). Etc.

Unfortunately the Wife Approval Factor for purchasing another EoP adapter is quite low.... that and the fact that our current adapters are pretty old now, and I'd likely need to purchase two double packs to get the three that I need.

If I can get this remote working, I'm sorted.

I wonder whether also running a wifi dongle on the RPi will work? That way I could connect directly to the router (which has wifi) etc. My only concern would be how the RPi will try to stream media, as it needs to be over the ethernet/EoP.
Can you configure static routes manually within your router?

If so, try this:

MEDIA PC
Wifi:
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1
Windows Internet Connection Sharing active (--> is this needed?)

Ethernet:
IP=192.168.0.5 (Static)
ADDITIONAL IP=192.168.1.5 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1

RASPBERRY PI
IP=192.168.1.4 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.1.5

ROUTER
add a static route to 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 using gateway 192.168.0.5

Remembered that I had to do something like this a long time ago, not sure whether I remember it correctly, though.

Your phone should (...) still be able to use your router's DHCP then, but maybe you'd have to rewrite your smb conf.

No guarantee, though, as I can't test it in my environment Wink
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2015-08-13, 09:38)Fry7 Wrote: Can you configure static routes manually within your router?

If so, try this:

MEDIA PC
Wifi:
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1
Windows Internet Connection Sharing active (--> is this needed?)

Ethernet:
IP=192.168.0.5 (Static)
ADDITIONAL IP=192.168.1.5 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1

RASPBERRY PI
IP=192.168.1.4 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.1.5

ROUTER
add a static route to 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 using gateway 192.168.0.5

Remembered that I had to do something like this a long time ago, not sure whether I remember it correctly, though.

Your phone should (...) still be able to use your router's DHCP then, but maybe you'd have to rewrite your smb conf.

No guarantee, though, as I can't test it in my environment Wink

Thanks Fry.

Yes, I can configure static routes within the router (it's quite a decent device actually).

However, can you please check the IP's you've suggested, or alternatively I'm totally confused - the static route to 192.168.1.0... where does that go exactly?

Appreciate your assistance.
My idea was that you add another network to your configuration:

192.168.0.0/24 --> your router's DHCP LAN
192.168.1.0/24 --> your RPi's network

If you do so, you need to tell your router how it can reach your RPi's LAN, so you configure a route that has to use the Media PC's NIC 192.168.0.5 if it wants to reach 192.168.1.0/24; by adding the additional static IP 192.168.1.5 to that NIC, it will automatically know where to route packages going to 192.168.1.0 because it is also a member of that network... but wait...

As I look at your picture again, this NIC will not be able to reach your router as it has no direct connection to it - so maybe you should forget about my post and simply try to bridge the WLAN - and NIC-adapters on your MediaPC...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ork-bridge
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2015-08-13, 04:24)highground Wrote: The only problem remains is that I now cannot seem to access the RPi via smartphone as a remote.

Make sure access point isolation is not enabled in router. See here.
(2015-08-13, 11:23)Fry7 Wrote: My idea was that you add another network to your configuration:

192.168.0.0/24 --> your router's DHCP LAN
192.168.1.0/24 --> your RPi's network

If you do so, you need to tell your router how it can reach your RPi's LAN, so you configure a route that has to use the Media PC's NIC 192.168.0.5 if it wants to reach 192.168.1.0/24; by adding the additional static IP 192.168.1.5 to that NIC, it will automatically know where to route packages going to 192.168.1.0 because it is also a member of that network... but wait...

As I look at your picture again, this NIC will not be able to reach your router as it has no direct connection to it - so maybe you should forget about my post and simply try to bridge the WLAN - and NIC-adapters on your MediaPC...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ork-bridge

Thanks Fry, indeed that is a good idea, however when bridging the connections via Windows, it appears to restrict access to the internet gateway - it seems to be a trade off. If I bridge, I get access to each device on the network, but not internet to the RPi. If I use Internet Connection Sharing, I get access to the internet and the Media PC, however no access to other devices (or rather, they can't reach the RPi...).

I have noticed that the router will also provide a second IP, which I assume will also be a second gateway, so in line with your thinking tomorrow I'll try getting this side of the network onto the second subnet as suggested, and see if the phones will chat to them through the second gateway IP. Does that sound logical?

(2015-08-13, 13:01)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-13, 04:24)highground Wrote: The only problem remains is that I now cannot seem to access the RPi via smartphone as a remote.

Make sure access point isolation is not enabled in router. See here.

Thanks popcornmix, I have checked however there's no specific setting for this - though there is a network grouping setting which I suspect does the same thing. This has all networks in a default group however so I know they can all talk. For reference it is a TP-Link AC1750 D7 modem.

The problem is that the data for the remote is not getting out of the router, as it can't see the RPi due to it being connected on the 2nd NIC on the Media PC. When they are bridged, it's okay, but then we lose the internet. I think I need to port forward, but using the Media PC.... I'm not sure if this is possible or even correct.

One day we'll have a house with a ton of ethernet cables throughout the walls hopefully!!!
(2015-08-13, 14:27)highground Wrote: Thanks Fry, indeed that is a good idea, however when bridging the connections via Windows, it appears to restrict access to the internet gateway - it seems to be a trade off. If I bridge, I get access to each device on the network, but not internet to the RPi. If I use Internet Connection Sharing, I get access to the internet and the Media PC, however no access to other devices (or rather, they can't reach the RPi...).

Can you test if the RPi can ping your router?
How are your adapters and your bridge configured now, IP-wise?
I'd say that your MediaPC's NIC must have the same gateway as your WLAN adapter has, so your router that is.
As this bridge acts as some kind of a softwareswitch or accesspoint (however one likes it), even your RPi should get direct access to your router, also using it as its internet gateway directly...
Bye,
Fry
(2015-08-13, 14:46)Fry7 Wrote: Can you test if the RPi can ping your router?
How are your adapters and your bridge configured now, IP-wise?
I'd say that your MediaPC's NIC must have the same gateway as your WLAN adapter has, so your router that is.
As this bridge acts as some kind of a softwareswitch or accesspoint (however one likes it), even your RPi should get direct access to your router, also using it as its internet gateway directly...

...just to be sure, I tested this bridgemode using an old laptop an my old RPi1:
- gave the bridge a static IPv4 address, connected to my router wirelessly
- connected the Pi by wire directly to the laptop and gave the Pi a static address, also using my router as its gateway, all in the same subnet
-> works, LAN and WAN.
Bye,
Fry
I have used Putty to get into the RPi, and have tried to ping the router (192.168.0.1) with no luck. It ping's the MPC NIC fine, but that's it.
It is surprisingly still giving me internet access, even after changing the assigned IP's given when enabling ICS - could it be a firewall issue perhaps? I don't have any antivirus etc installed aside from Windows Defender however.

These are the current settings (same as prev post):

MEDIA PC

Wifi:

Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1
Windows Internet Connection Sharing active

Ethernet:

IP=192.168.0.5 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.1

RASPBERRY PI

IP=192.168.0.4 (Static)
Subnet=255.255.255.0
Gateway=192.168.0.5

...just to be sure, I tested this bridgemode using an old laptop an my old RPi1:
- gave the bridge a static IPv4 address, connected to my router wirelessly
- connected the Pi by wire directly to the laptop and gave the Pi a static address, also using my router as its gateway, all in the same subnet
-> works, LAN and WAN.
[/quote]

I will try this now again... cheers
I've configured it the same as yours, this is the result:

LAN - Yes
Phone access (remote - Yes
Internet - No

Strange, as I can ping the router from the RPi now.... so close!
Yeah, strange...

Since my test scenario concerning your MediaPC and your Pi connecting to your network using the bridge from your MediaPC was technically the same, here is what I did:

1. shutdown the Pi

2. created the bridge
-> the physical NIC was "not connected"
-> the WLAN adapter reconnected to my WLAN, but was assigned a new DHCP address
-> this happens because the bridge creates new "fake" MAC addresses for all adapters being bridged

3. so I manually changed the bridges' IPv4 address to what I wanted (192.168.0.6/24, dns and gateway 192.168.0.1 in your case)

4. after then connecting and firing up my Pi, I made sure whether it also was given a DHCP address - which it was not as its eth0 wasn't changed
-> in your case you will have to make sure that it IS using your router as a gateway and dns server, NOT your old MediaPCs 2nd IP 192.168.0.5 as for that also your MediaPC had to be enabled to act as a router... and it doesn't exist anymore, anyway

5. did ping checks from the Pi, wget from the Pi, and vice versa, even all my other networkers could see and connect to the bridged Pi - as could the Pi, too

Maybe this might help a little for troubleshouting, as it went really quick for me. My guess would be that you did miss point 4... Big Grin But just a guess.

Edit: messed a little with your picture...Blush

Bye,
Fry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi & LAN networking issues0