My first script - Error
Hi,

I'm new at python development (but have other dev experience) and am currently trying to create a very basic script to experiment with Kodi development. Using Openelec (Kodi v14), on Raspberry Pi.

Script file:
Code:
import kodi
kodi.executebuiltin("RunPlugin(plugin://plugin.video.youtube)")

Error:
Code:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'executebuiltin'

I run the script by navigating to the directory in Putty and use the following command:
Code:
python script.py

If I run the script using the following command, I don't get any errors, but nothing is happening...
Code:
kodi-send -a "RunScript(script.py)"

I did a lot of googling but cannot figure out why this is not working. All documentation seems to be saying it should basically work.

What am I doing wrong? Huh

Btw: I upload my file to /storage/scripts and gave the .py-script 755 permissions in my FTP program (FileZilla).
"import kodi" does not exist

"import xbmc" does
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-08-13, 22:32)Martijn Wrote: "import kodi" does not exist

"import xbmc" does

And I for one hope that doesn't change for a very, very, very long time. Wink

"import xbmc" does

Thanks for the reply! However, when I change that into import xbmc I get the following error: "ImportError: no module named xbmc".

Do I have to run the script from a specific location where the xbmc module can be found/imported?
(2015-08-14, 04:30)pkscout Wrote:

"import xbmc" does

And I for one hope that doesn't change for a very, very, very long time. Wink

Well it might change but will for sure be backwards compatible.

(2015-08-14, 10:04)longshanks17 Wrote:

"import xbmc" does

Thanks for the reply! However, when I change that into import xbmc I get the following error: "ImportError: no module named xbmc".

Do I have to run the script from a specific location where the xbmc module can be found/imported?

you can only use it from within Kodi itself. No through outside editors.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Bit of an aside, but it's curious that the "import kodi" line isn't raising an ImportError. Presumably there's also a kodi.py file in the same folder.

It would probably help if we understood what you were trying to achieve i.e. it's perfectly possible to control Kodi with a script run outside of Kodi itself (e.g. using the JSON-RPC interface).
BBC Live Football Scores: Football scores notifications service.
script.squeezeinfo: shows what's playing on your Logitech Media Server
Ok I see.

If you say "only from within kodi itself", how whould I do that? Does it mean through the GUI?

I imagine when you develop an add-on you could install it on your kodi machine but in my case it's just one script file, not a real add-on, so not sure how to "trigger" that from within Kodi itself.

EDIT: What I want to achieve is calling a plugin and passing some parameters along, something like:

xbmc.executebuiltin('RunPlugin(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=<VIDEO-ID>)')

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first script - Error0