• 6(current)
Audio drops if Enable Passthru is enabled
We blame the firmware which in general is crap. Yes firmware is also software so in that regards you are right however don't blame kodi for following only the official implementation.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-04-26, 21:23)astral69 Wrote: Doesn't this forum have any moderatorsHuhHuhHuh?

This thread is about the shortcomings of KODI, not the various platforms that it can run on.!!

IMHO you are quite wrong to blame the HW when it is clearly a SW issue

Let's look at the facts:

Google makes Android.

Google says "do this"

Kodi follow's Google's lead.

Most SoC manufacturers also follow Google's lead.

Rockchip decides to not follow Google's lead.

Some other software groups put in extra effort to work both ways, likely because they can afford to. The amount of extra work is considerably large, because it makes their code considerably more complex.

Kodi is made by volunteers in their free time, and Kodi must be maintainable and work on various platforms.

It is not a matter of right or wrong. You've been given the reason why the Kodi project does not use Rockchip's method of audio passthrough. The Kodi project has the right to choose how Kodi is made. It doesn't have to make sense to you, it only has to make sense to people who actually work on Kodi and know how programs are developed.
Let's use a phone metaphor:

- You see this extra cheap Chinese phone and decide to buy one from china
- Oh, damn, the phone doesn't support the 4g standard of my country

Are you gonna blame your operator for not supporting your phone 4g?
In case someone missed it. With upcoming v17 release only Android 5 will be supported and only Mediacodec / Audiotrack. Everything else - including aml special hacks are being removed.

Reason: We have no maintainer for Android anymore and we can't find someone that wants to maintain the current mess. So this platform will only survive going _the_ standard way - the rest needs to stay on 14, 15, 16 forever.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So, in the end, is there a fix for this issues since it seems to be a problem for a whole bunch of people?

When DTS is passed through HDMI - the sound drops every 3-5 seconds and then comes back.

The problem is not there with Dolby Digital passthrough. It works just fine.
It works just fine if passthrough is disabled completely as well.

I have the problem on a TV box with an AmLogic S905 chip.

I also tried SPMC today and had the same results with IEC Passthrough. RAW Passthrough freezes the player interface and does not produce any sound whatsoever.
(2016-04-28, 21:50)w00x Wrote: So, in the end, is there a fix for this issues since it seems to be a problem for a whole bunch of people?

When DTS is passed through HDMI - the sound drops every 3-5 seconds and then comes back.

The problem is not there with Dolby Digital passthrough. It works just fine.
It works just fine if passthrough is disabled completely as well.

I have the problem on a TV box with an AmLogic S905 chip.

I also tried SPMC today and had the same results with IEC Passthrough. RAW Passthrough freezes the player interface and does not produce any sound whatsoever.

Yeah i'd be interested to hear as well.

Have you tried Kodi 17 to see if it's still a problem? If not it might be a case if disabling passthrough until 17 is stable.
(2016-04-28, 21:50)w00x Wrote: So, in the end, is there a fix for this issues since it seems to be a problem for a whole bunch of people?

As far, as i understand, KODI works right now proper on boxes, that uses googles API (level 23 vor HD sound).
So, if you need fixes, you have to ask your box manufacturer for a proper designed operating system.
No one will include workarounds or hacks in KODI for special SOCs like in other players like Plex or mxplayer.
I have a Zidoo X6 device and a Android TV (Philips PUS8601, 2016 model with android 5.1).
Zidoo X6 is connected to the PUS8601 and have Kodi 16.1.
With Zidoo X6 I hear 5.1 dolby sound on my Philips HTB9150 receiver, perfect.
With my tv I hear a stuttering sound noise when I want to play dd5.1, pcm plays fine.
With the Netflix app on my tv I hear dolby digital 5.1 sound.
I used the quickstartguide to get the settings right: http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

Can someone give me a tip how to solve this problem?
(2016-04-29, 12:20)Mytheory Wrote: I have a Zidoo X6 device and a Android TV (Philips PUS8601, 2016 model with android 5.1).
With my tv I hear a stuttering sound noise when I want to play dd5.1, pcm plays fine.
I used the quickstartguide to get the settings right: http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide

Zidoo has a dedicated forum where you can report your problem.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?forums/zidoo-x6.18/
(2016-04-29, 13:40)mo123 Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 12:20)Mytheory Wrote: I have a Zidoo X6 device and a Android TV (Philips PUS8601, 2016 model with android 5.1).

Zidoo has a dedicated forum where you can report your problem.
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?forums/zidoo-x6.18/

You did NOT read my message Confused

I write:

I want to sell my Zidoo because I can use Kodi over my Android TV.
(2016-04-17, 10:36)fritsch Wrote: Here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk

Wait a bit until the mirror has it.

This actually stops the audio drop problems that i was having. Running Android 5.1 so not sure if everything is being passed through correctly but can't complain.

Edit: audio ended up being out of sync after a while. Will update if it changes.
Your Debug Log will tell us.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,
I'm having same issue when running android 5.1 on MXQ box with Amlogic S905. Kodi version is 16.1
There is and audio drop every 7 second with DTS soundtrack when passthrough is enabled (tested with HDMI and coax S/PDIF).
The workaround I've found is echo 2 > /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec then start kodi.
For some reason this stopped to work and there is no sound at all when I ran echo 2... so currently I need to do this:
start SPMC; echo 2 > /sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec while is SPMC running, exit SPMC, start Kodi, then I have no sound drops with DTS and Dolby..

I saved sys/class/audiodsp values on clean start and compared them with values when was Kodi running without sound drops
/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource before 2 then 1
/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw before 2 then 0
/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec before 0 then 2

after reboot I tried to chagned this values:
echo 1 >/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
echo 0 >/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_raw
echo 2>/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec
but it didn't worked and there were still drops.

my debug log (clean box start, no changes, DTS sound drops occurring every 7 seconds)
http://xbmclogs.com/pixnlqqoj

*edit
I did more digging and found out that the issue has nothing to with SPMC.
value of /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource is set to 2 on box start and I'm not able to change it:
130|root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
root@p200:/ # echo 1 >/sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
I have to start Kodi which is changing the value 1 after start
root@p200:/ # cat /sys/class/audiodsp/audio_samesource
then change digital_codec to 2
root@p200:/ # echo 2 >/sys/class/audiodsp/digital_codec

restart kodi and issue with sound drops is gone..

Anyone have idea what this can be and how to fix it?
If this is fixed by simply modifying 3 settings, can it not be fixed within SPMC and Kodi automatically?
Afaik all S905 boxes have this problem
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio drops if Enable Passthru is enabled3