Stream vs Download speed
Hi guys;
I was using Kodi on a $50 MXIII quad core box but noticed that I got a lot of buffering and/or jittery screens or audio. When I did speed tests sometimes the wireless was faster and sometimes the connection was better via the Ethernet cable.
I gave the MXIII to my son and got a Matricom G box Q - I thought that it would be much better but it's about the same.
I have Comcast Blast 100mbps and a Netgear Gigabit router that is 6' from the G box. The G box gets only 21mbps via Ethernet cable and 33mbps via it's wireless. (I use the OOKLA speed test app)
As a test I connected my 6 year old laptop to the same Ethernet cable and got 50mbps and my iPad Air gets 44mbps wireless.

So I'm a little confused.... and thinking of returning the G Box.

But I assume 33mbps via the G Boxes wireless should be fine to stream without bufferingHuh
Am I just connecting to busy streams? Would a better box help? and why wouldn't the wired Ethernet be faster than the wireless.

Thank you for any suggestions.
First you have to separate WAN vs LAN, when you said Streaming/download, are you referring from the Internet (WAN) or a local machine (LAN)?
It sounds as from WAN since you are using OOKLA. And if that is the case, chances are there is not much you can do. Hard to control the Internet routing with ISPs and it will vary all the time.

However, if you have a 100Mbps internet connection from Comcast and you are not getting speeds anywhere close to that, check with them. But also read the fine print, as it probably says "speeds up to xxx". Cable internet is usually share with the people in your area, which means, the less people, closer to 100Mbps the connection will be. The more, the slower it will be. It all depends on the time of day.

There will be quite a bit of research you have to do, sadly, none have to do with Kodi.
Some links to understand network speeds (Note, none deal with WAN):
http://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-th...reless-374
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/giga...321-3.html
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stream vs Download speed0