Linux [RESOLVED] Updated last night, now Kodi won't run
I can't seem to sort this out. Guess it's a reinstall unless someone can chime in with another idea in the next couple days
I have NVIDIA on Ubuntu and my standard practice is to use the proprietary driver. This means everytime a new kernel comes out I have to recompile the driver against the new kernel or the whole X11 system will not fire up. So, you have 3 choices, use the builtin Ubuntu way they have above, use the monitor plug in on the motherboard or: Blacklist the Ubuntu driver and do a highwire act in the grub boot sequence to use the NVIDIA binary. NVIDIA proprietary actually is screams 8x faster on my homebuild so definitely worth the hassle. Here's the deal.
Download the latest NVIDIA driver from the official website. Make note where you store the .run program, restart the computer. Immediatly after BIOS screen hit [ESC] to enter the boot selection menu. Select the latest kernel in [RECOVERY] mode, since the NVIDIA driver cannot be installed while X Server is running. Do the [hard drive test], you have to do that before mounting the filesystem. Log in to the [ROOT SHELL] and mount the hard-drive with
Code:
mount -a
Now you're in business. Change to the Downloads directory <code>cd /home/username/Downloads</code> or wherever you put the file NVIDIA-XXX.XX.x86_64.run. Add an executable bit
Code:
chmod +x NVIDIA*.run
Now I recompile the binary against the new kernel.
Code:
./NVIDIA*.run --add-this-kernel
Recompiling creates a new executable called NVIDIA-XXX.XX.x86_64-custom.run. Run this custom binary without any arguments and say yes to everything.
Code:
./NVIDIA-*-custom.run
. Exit the shell and reboot.
If you go with this method you have to do this whole rigamarole Every time you want to upgrade your Linux kernel. But a high poly game I have went from 60fps to over 1200fps just from using the proprietary driver, and blacklisting the Ubuntu driver. I'm using the EVGA[/code] GTX 960.
I disagree with that wholeheartedly with using binary packages and especially disagree when you run them ontop of good drivers and when people dont understand what issue is.

He has a broken chrooted environment with no drivers and unless he can fix that no nvidia binary drivers will help unless he runs it from with the chroot.
In the end I went with a full wipe and reinstall. Wife was getting antsy about the downtime Wink Installed 14 using the kodibuntu iso then upgraded to 15.1 and it seems to be running just fine now.

For uNiversal's piece of mind, from what I can tell there is no chrooted environment going on with the clean install ... which is really really confusing, but oh well.
Dont play with it then Smile.

My guess at some stage you either tried following some how to or try to setup something and ran some commands that you didn't quite understand and ended up in a weird state.

Who knows... And now who cares? ;D
(2015-08-30, 11:42)uNiversal Wrote: Dont play with it then Smile.

Bah, where's the fun in that? Wink Thank for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RESOLVED] Updated last night, now Kodi won't run0