[split] Any TVAddons people around? Time to get real
The technology is just as relevant today as it was when it first came out.

Again, there's no battle with BitTorrent. There's no (at least, minimal) risk to be had. That's my entire point. The add-ons and groups impacting us the most are using file locker sites using plain old HTTP. It's the ultra easy/casual one-click-piracy that has exploded in popularity that is the real issue. The association between P2P and piracy never gave us the issues we face today. The scale is totally different.
(2015-08-23, 00:25)DarkHelmet Wrote: It might just draw some other people to kodi besides "free tv" people.
"free music" people? ;P
(2015-08-22, 06:31)Ned Scott Wrote: I've personally been in favor of removing those threads (at least most of them) since things like Sickbeard help people find the movies and basically act as an indexing service. However, there's two big factors in this situation (in my personal opinion):

One, the more specific you try to define "the line", the harder it gets, and the harder it is to get everyone on the team to agree on where exactly the line should be drawn. Things get blurry. From far away, you can say "piracy = bad", or "direct links = bad". But using an add-on to search via a secondary application? The team becomes more split, and there are different feelings on that.

Two, everyone on Team Kodi agrees that the main priority is the reputation of the project. "gray area" is less likely to be dealt with as long as it is seen as a minor impact on reputation, and as long as there is at least some reasonable argument in its favor. There have been some add-ons or topics that have been banned that aren't really "piracy", but had a negative impact on Kodi reputation in regards to "piracy", for the flip example.

In other words, once something is in the "gray zone" and it's not totally clear what should be done, we then look at the impact on reputation as the next deciding factor. At least, that's how I've thought of it. There isn't actually a formal process in the group for any of this, just a series of internal discussions.

thank you for this Ned. It's the best answer I've seen thus far.

I never found legal streaming (or legal downloading) to be reliable. I live in rural America with a local ISP service, and it is quite unreliable to put it kindly. Thus, I've relied upon capture cards to get OTA and satellite recordings for years now. It's the heaviest usage by far for my personal kodi setup. Again, I (selfishly) want kodi around for my personal use for a long time because it's the best solution I've found to distribute my media around the house.

Keep up the good work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Any TVAddons people around? Time to get real0