Take advantage of the "Featured Artist" ID3 tag
There is a tag in ID3 MP3 files called "featured artist." Its usually only used in the Rap world, with a lot of collaboration projects. For example, Eminem writing a song, but "featuring" Jay Z in his song. Or Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean in her song "Hips Dont Lie." I think there might be a couple of other good uses for this tag.

But does XBMC support/recognize this tag in its Library view?

Thanks
No, Xbmc does not recognize that tag.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Just tag the artist as:

Normal Artists / Featured Artist

And then the library will list the track under both.

If you find the exact tag spec for the featured artist tag, XBMC can probably be enhanced to handle the formatting for you (though it won't say "featuring")

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Ill dig into it.

However, thinking about this, I believe that I would rather the tag be addressed in the Song Title, instead of the Artist Tag. For Example:

"Hips don't Lie" by Shakira, features Wyclef Jean. I think it would look better to have:

Trk # - Artist - Title
01 - Shakira - Hips Don't Lie feat. Wyclef Jean

than to have:

Trk # - Artist - Title
01 - Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie

If you get where I'm coming from. I just think its a cleaner application of the tag.
"*If* we do anything, it would be to add some new info tags for accessing the primary artist seperately than the secondary artists. Then you can do what you want. (Something like whats below.) But, the Xbmc's code isnt really set up to differentiate them. The artist, as Xbmc knows it, is a single concatenated string.

$INFO[MusicPlayer.Track, - ]$INFO[MusicPlayer.PrimaryArtist, - ]$INFO[MusicPlayer.Title, featuring ][$MusicPlayer.SecondaryArtists]

"01 - Shakira - Hips Don't Lie featuring Wyclef Jean"
Alot of the mp3 files I have seem recently tend to put the data your talking about in the comments field in 2.3 rev tags
jmarshall Wrote:Just tag the artist as:

Normal Artists / Featured Artist

And then the library will list the track under both.

If you find the exact tag spec for the featured artist tag, XBMC can probably be enhanced to handle the formatting for you (though it won't say "featuring")

Cheers,
Jonathan

Question on this reply. If I tag a song artist (I'll use the same example) as Artist: Shakira / Wyclef Jean then how will the "Artists View" treat this?

Will the song appear under BOTH artists "Shakira" and "Wyclef Jean"

OR

Will a new artist be created which will be "Shakira / Wyclef Jean" ?

The difference being, if I already have songs by Shakira and Wyclef Jean, then I would have in the Artists View:

Shakira
Wyclef Jean

But if it combines them together, I would end up with:

Shakira
Shakira / Wyclef Jean
Wyclef Jean

with the song "Hips Don't Lie" appearing in only the combined view under Artists.
The first. If they're slash-separated then the artists are stored separately in the db, and both artists are linked to the one song.

So you'll just get

Shakira
Wyclef Jean

and the song will appear under both.

When it's played back, it's artist field will state: Shakira / Wyclef Jean.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it works that way, it solves a lot of problems. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Take advantage of the "Featured Artist" ID3 tag0