v15 Playback issues in Kodi, fine in NextPVR - Fixed
Hi all. Like many people, having upgraded to Windows 10 and the loss of WMC I looked for an alternative and hit on NextPVR / Kodi as a solution.

Almost got it working perfectly apart from a slight niggle. When I was setting up NextPVR I noticed a playback issue. When I first started playing a recording or live TV the screen would go green and pixelate for a second or 2. This would also happen if I jumped forward or backward in a recording.

I managed to sort this by downloading ffdshow and changing the video decoder from Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder to ffdshow Video Decoder in NextPVR. Result. Perfect playback in NextPVR.

The problem I've got is that I'm still getting the green pixelated problem when viewing live or recorded TV in Kodi.

Do I have to do something to refresh the video decoder Kodi uses to match that of NextPVR?
Huh

Thanks in advance.
A digital television broadcast typically as a complete picture about every seconds, and partial frames in between. If you start live tv and the stream just happens to be in these partial frames, most decoders just ignore the data until they've received the first full frame, and will only start delivering frames from then on. It sounds like Kodi's video decoder trying to display partial frames. (they often result in green macro-blocks)

I'm not sure if this is any configuration setting in Kodi that will help with this. That said, I don't remember seeing this happen myself. Maybe look for settings to do with hardware acceleration or deinterlacing. They may affect how the decoder is behaving.

(Sorry, not an expert in Kodi settings myself - just giving some background)
Hi there Sub. Thanks for the info. But it's odd.
Like I say, now I'm using ffdshow NextPVR works perfectly, but Kodi works just the same as if I was using the original video decoder (Microsoft DTV-DVD) I was using in NextPVR.
It's like Kodi hasn't picked the updated video decoder up.
(2015-08-23, 18:22)strontium_99 Wrote: It's like Kodi hasn't picked the updated video decoder up.
Kodi has it's own built in decoders. It doesn't use the decoders configured in NextPVR - they're only used when you're viewing in NextPVR.
Goto OSD and turn off auto de interlacing. This has been reported on a bazillion times.use Search please..
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
Nice one. I'll try it. Thanks for your help. Sorry about not picking it up.
Update - Sorry to say, I tried this and it didn't work. Still the same.
Start a recording / Live TV or move backward / forward, screen turns green and pixelates for a few moments.
Hi all. Sorted now. Should have listened to sub3 closer. Turning off the video acceleration did the track.The Auto De Interlacing was fine.
Thanks for your help.
Good news! Remember hardware vs software acceleration is machine dependent. If you have a weaker box, software time is best as it uses the CPU. If you have a GPU that can handle it, then open her up and let the graphics go with hardware acc.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback issues in Kodi, fine in NextPVR - Fixed0