Problem - Cannot Protect Add-ons!
I'm running Kodi 17.3 (two instances on Raspberry Pi's, one instance in an Xubuntu VM for testing), and I've run into a problem on all 3 of them: I have a couple of program add-ons (Backup, Keymap Editor), and I'm not able to protect them from tampering by other users! I have the master lock set, and it's set to protect both the add-on manager and the programs & scripts windows - but a user can just browser from "Add-Ons" on the main menu, hit "Backup" and restore/backup the system, or hit "Keymap Editor" and start tampering with the key mappings. It seems to be partially working - it'll throw a pin prompt up if I try to get to the settings for Backup (but not Keymap), but a user could accidentally (or on purpose) get to harmful spots.

The only way I've been able to protect it so far is to completely remove add-ons from the main menu, but that's not an ideal solution as there may be other add-ons I'd like people to use.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this really not working right? Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Have you tried to use separate profiles for the different users? Each profile has its own settings, configuration and addons.
I hadn't tried different profiles, as my understanding was that each profile keeps its own copy of add-on settings (having unique keymaps wouldn't be ideal, and I need the backups to grab everything!) However, I didn't actually try it - I'll give it a test and report back if it works out OK. Thanks for the suggestion!
I tried an alternate profile, and it didn't work out properly ... I was able to hide the add-ons, but after switching back to Master, the Backup plug-in only appears to snag the current profile & database (and I wouldn't be running it under standard), and it appears (although I may have screwed up the test) that the Key Map plug-in also stores per-user.

Absent any other ideas, I think I'll just go with the one profile and hide the Add-Ons from the main menu, when I need to run/adjust one I'll unhide it via the settings, do my thing, and then hide it again.
Maybe come at it from the other way, and try a little user education (baseball bats optional) if securing thing down isn't practical?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Presumably you're using the default skin. You could switch to a skin that lets you set custom shortcuts, and just not have one pointing at program addons on the home screen. That would stop most accidental / casual messing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem - Cannot Protect Add-ons!0