Linux installed ubuntu-desktop on top of the radeon build, broke many things
I have a feeling that I am SOL but I figured I'd try.

So first, some context. I have a small AMD APU appliance that I've been using as a Kodi box for some time, and then a file server. The motherboard in the file server died, so I got enclosures for the drives and connected them to my Kodi HTPC. For various reasons I need a headless vnc on whatever box is hosting my file server, so I did:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-core xfce4 vnc4server

When I rebooted two problems arose. One is that now there is network-manager which for some reason has to be brought up manually before I can get network connectivity, and the second is that Kodi loads automatically but after a few minutes the regular ubuntu login screen appears. Here is the output from kodi.log with debugging enabled:

http://pastebin.com/ek4XZLjf

Really all I need to do is either a) start network-manager automatically at boot time rather than have it come up only when I 'sudo service network-manager start' OR restpre the non-gnome network management service and b) prevent login screen from popping up a minute or two after kodi starts.
Well OK I made some progress. Commented out the eth0 directive in /etc/network/interfaces and now at least networking comes up. But now instead of having kodi for a minute or two and then the login screen, I immediately get the ubuntu login screen. So it looks like all I need to do is make sure that kodi starts automatically

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
installed ubuntu-desktop on top of the radeon build, broke many things0