Prefered IDE for Kodi Development
Just wondering what IDE tools the Kodi devs prefer to work with?

I have been familiarising myself with the code, hoping to contribute eventually, using Visual Studio Express 2013 (on a Win 7 PC). Unfortunately the wonderful M$ software has locked me out (demanding I sign in because "trial" has finished, then failing to connect so I can continue using it) and all my efforts to fix it have failed. It seems that the account info it has does not match my online account, but there is no way to get in to change it. Perhaps it is folly to work under Windows anyway, but it was familiar and handy!

Anyway I am looking for an alternative IDE, Windows or otherwise. Suggestions?
I am pretty sure that visual studio express 2013 for desktop can be used free of charge without using any developer account (we use it on our jenkins build slave as well):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download...x?id=44914

Not sure what situation you managed to get into - but locked VS was never an issue for me tbh.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-25, 15:50)Memphiz Wrote: I am pretty sure that visual studio express 2013 for desktop can be used free of charge without using any developer account (we use it on our jenkins build slave as well):
Free yes, but it wants you to have a MSDN account too. I do, but after 30 days it wants to connect to it and is failing. I probably put in junk account info when I installed - I hate big brother watching - now it has come back to bite me.
Quote:Not sure what situation you managed to get into - but locked VS was never an issue for me tbh.
I suspect VS is shot on this PC now, licence protection tied to hardware etc., so annoying especially since it is free software. Not expecting anyone here to fix it. Oh well I am due a new machine, meanwhile considering alternatives. C++ Builder anyone?
Well after many hours of uninstalling and reinstalling.... I now have Visual Studio Community 2015 installed (and signing in to M$). I was locked out of that too until I installed IE11 (yuck! Retrospecitively it was probably my lack of IE that was the source of the lock out). I did not want to be this near to the bleeding bloated edge of M$ technology when I started the day.

Of course the pain is not over.
Kodi (Jarvis) source that built under VS2013 gives me 2 errors under VS2015.

Code:
Error    C1189    #error:  Macro definition of snprintf conflicts with Standard Library function declaration    
UnrarXLib    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\stdio.h    1927

Error    C2664    'void CHTTPPythonWsgiInvoker::addWsgiEnvironment(HTTPPythonRequest *,void **(__cdecl *)(void))': cannot convert argument 2 from 'PyObject *' to 'void **(__cdecl *)(void)'    
Kodi    C:\GitProjects\xbmc\xbmc\network\httprequesthandler\python\HTTPPythonWsgiInvoker.cpp    206

I am loosing the will to live, considering the 3 hour plus uninstall of 2015 and reinstall of 2013, meanwhile anyone care to comment on the errors. Is VS2015 a step too far for Kodi?
I use vs2015, you should not upgrade the project irc.
(2015-08-25, 18:14)Ace Wrote: I use vs2015, you should not upgrade the project irc.
Ah, I suspect it is too late for that Sad

I reinstalled VS2013 - seems I can have both, and now I have IE11 cluttering up the drive it can "phone home" so my free use can continue. So then I tried to rebuild just to get back to where I was before I started. Nope!
This time I get multiple critical errors like

Code:
error MSB8020: The build tools for v140 (Platform Toolset = 'v140') cannot be found. To build using the v140 build tools, please install v140 build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Upgrade Solution...".    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets    64    5    visVortex

I have screwed up some project files haven't I. How do I get back to where I started? Would rather not start with a new clone if possible, just get the project bits I have incorrectly updated.

Edit: Think I am finally back where I started, Phew! I overwrote the .vcxproj files with originals, then still had to manually set all 28 projects within the solution to use platform tooset v120 rather than v140. What a day.
(2015-08-25, 18:14)Ace Wrote: I use vs2015, you should not upgrade the project irc.

So vs2015 is possible. Interesting now that I have it installed along with vs2013. How do I use it yet avoid the critical errors I encountered? Not sure what "not upgrading the project" entails.
(2015-08-25, 21:16)DaveBlake Wrote:

So vs2015 is possible. Interesting now that I have it installed along with vs2013. How do I use it yet avoid the critical errors I encountered? Not sure what "not upgrading the project" entails.

Just open the project with vs2015 and say you don't want to upgrade the solution to 2015. As long as you also have vs2013 installed, it will use the correct compiler and you should be good to go.
(2015-08-26, 00:40)Razze Wrote: Just open the project with vs2015 and say you don't want to upgrade the solution to 2015. As long as you also have vs2013 installed, it will use the correct compiler and you should be good to go.
When I tried vs2015 I no longer had vs2013 there too, and things got messy, one of many mistakes. Oh what a wasted day just because I only had an ancient version of IE in the first place. Can't say I am loving visual studio, but I guess it is the obvious tool on Windows.

Thanks to all for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prefered IDE for Kodi Development0