My Experience of the Gateway and PVR Add-On
Does anyone else find that the add-on is unstable? I have tested over a month now on both Open Elec and AFTV. the issues I see:-
PVR Add-On
1) often when channels are selected the system hangs. Usually this is when I resume using the system after a period of non-usage. requires a reboot to get back to operational
2) huge inconsistencies in building the guide and channels. Totally hit and miss. I'm using the OTA guide

Gateway
1) occasionally HD channels refuse to play. This is not an add-on issue as same behaviour direct on the gateway
2) there's quite a bit of choppiness exhibited on HD channels especially sports. I don't think this is my home network connection but would be interested in other peoples opinion.
3) Generally the gateway is stable

I'm happy to provide any log files requested if my add-on experience is unique.
Quote:often when channels are selected the system hangs. Usually this is when I resume using the system after a period of non-usage. requires a reboot to get back to operational

What do you mean by hangs? Does Kodi crash (taking you to the main menu) or does it freeze?

Quote:huge inconsistencies in building the guide and channels. Totally hit and miss. I'm using the OTA guide

Can you elaborate on this?
often when channels are selected the system hangs. Usually this is when I resume using the system after a period of non-usage. requires a reboot to get back to operational
Quote:What do you mean by hangs? Does Kodi crash (taking you to the main menu) or does it freeze?
Hangs. Cannot use back button etc to navigate away and the selected channel never displays even if left for 30+ minutes

huge inconsistencies in building the guide and channels. Totally hit and miss. I'm using the OTA guide
Quote:Can you elaborate on this?
often the guide and the channels displayed are incomplete. for example only the first 29 channels or shown or there are gaps. The channel list is normally fine but the guide is totally hit and miss
Quote:Hangs. Cannot use back button etc to navigate away and the selected channel never displays even if left for 30+ minutes

Can you file a ticket on https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.vbox/issues and attach a debug log from when you experience the hang (no need to wait for more than maybe 15 seconds).

Quote:often the guide and the channels displayed are incomplete. for example only the first 29 channels or shown or there are gaps. The channel list is normally fine but the guide is totally hit and miss

This is a firmware issue, I've had the same problem while developing the addon. Sometimes the VBox just doesn't provide any data when requesting EPG data for a set of channels. The fact that it takes a long time is also a firmware issue (in fact it takes so long that the addon has to request the data in batches of 10 channels at a time in order to avoid request timeout errors).
VBox and the associated Kodi plugin developers are very responsive and longer term this looks like it will be great.

For the moment, to try and fill the gaps (Episode and Program name in the recorded file name, Series Recording, Support for using just external Atlas XMLTV EPG, Stability), I am trialling using DVBLink for IPTV to sit between the VBox TV Gateway and Kodi. This is not ideal but fortunately the NAS I am using to store recordings on will also run DVBLink and XMLTV. I am hoping that this is only temporary and that future firmware and plugin development will allow the connection between the frontend Kodi and the backend VBox can be a more direct one.
(2015-08-26, 12:35)negge Wrote:
Quote:Hangs. Cannot use back button etc to navigate away and the selected channel never displays even if left for 30+ minutes

Can you file a ticket on https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.vbox/issues and attach a debug log from when you experience the hang (no need to wait for more than maybe 15 seconds).

Quote:often the guide and the channels displayed are incomplete. for example only the first 29 channels or shown or there are gaps. The channel list is normally fine but the guide is totally hit and miss

This is a firmware issue, I've had the same problem while developing the addon. Sometimes the VBox just doesn't provide any data when requesting EPG data for a set of channels. The fact that it takes a long time is also a firmware issue (in fact it takes so long that the addon has to request the data in batches of 10 channels at a time in order to avoid request timeout errors).

Hi Negge,

I'll try and get the debug logs for you. I appreciate your response here. I think I'm going to take another route for now though. I've tested the VBox Android set top box apk on my AFTV. Works pretty well. really the only thing that doesn't work is navigating the guide (doesn't quite size properly on my tv at least and you can't scroll through the channels. But in general the app runs well and works well with the AFTV remote. Because you can launch android apps directly from kodi the experience is pretty good. As the box doesn't show the uk HD channels guide anyway i'm not missing much
I posted link to logs from right after kodi hangs on github.

events are idle, select the guide, hang, reboot amazon fire tv, launch kodi, post logs
http://xbmclogs.com/phkmqrwsc

i've come back to your pvr add-on as i've found that the vbox apk won't handle hd-streams...the picture lags and stutters etc whereas via the add-on in Kodi hd streams ok-ish.
I was having this very same issue, whereby if I left the machine on for a reasonable length of time, then tried anything PVR-related then kodi would just freeze up and I'd need to reboot.

I noticed that a deadlock issue was fixed in the addon a couple of days ago in github - so this looked promising:
https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.vbox/com...a20d1181c1

I therefore upgraded to one of the v16 nightlies, and then followed the instructions here to compile v2.1.4 of the addon from github:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219166

Since then, I have not experienced any further crashes or stability issues.

I'm not sure whether the developers plan to make this fix available in the main release channels - e.g. to kodi v15 users.
The fix got merged to Isengard today (v1.3.9) so it should end up in the nightly Isengard builds soon.
I was having all the above issues last night running 2.50 firmware and Isengard (Kodi 15.2), now this morning the PRV manager just reboots my kodi box, over and over and over. I restarted the Vbox a couple of times, reinstalled my (raspberry Pi2) box (diskpart - wiped my SD card, reloaded OpenELEC-RPi2.arm img with includes Kodi v15.2) went to Add-on's added VBox PVR set up the IP and then enabled TV , BANG ....reboot ... over and over and over..

Anyone any suggestions??

P.S - only bought the box on Tuesday the 3rd of Nov and have spent two days working the issue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Experience of the Gateway and PVR Add-On0