CPU/Build feedback, Hi10p
Hi Guys
I'll start by prefacing this with the following; I intend to use this build purely as an OpenELEC HTPC essentially running as a appliance for wife-friendliness. I want it to run 1080p Hi10p fluidly, which I am fully aware is CPU orientated, but I've never seen a good benchmark or results chart so I've got precious little to refer to; and my budget is VERY tight, which is why it is important to get this right the first time round, but also not to just go for the most expensive option.

I will be putting this into a ITX build.

I already 2GB of RAM, and will be running OPENELEC off a USB stick, so that's covered, I will also be running off the IGP, for both cost, heat and power reasons Smile
I will have to buy the PSU/ITX case but that's going to be a relevant cost for all these builds, but it's something else to add pressure to the budget.

I have 3 build options
1)
I3-2100 - FREE
Skt 1155 ITX mobo - £40
Cooler - £20?

I already have this I3 sitting in my cupboard which is why it's got a good place in my list because using it will keep the cost down. BUT Ivy and Sandy especially had a few issues with the IGP, such as imperfect 23.97Hz support.
I've found ITX mobos for £40 so this is quite a cost effective option, IF the issues won't frustrate me. I'm also slightly put off knowing that Skt 1155 is now completely dead and not even that recent, so I'd be throwing money after an several-generations 'extinct' ecosystem

I COULD get around the IGP issues by buying a low profile card, but that mitigates a lot of the cost saving of using the chip I already have, and could get tight in an ITX case. It would also use more power than the other options so I'd potentially have to push for a slightly better PSU if I went this route. By the time you factor in the requirement for a cooler, it may end up costing as much as the other builds!

2)
Haswell G3250 Pentium and use stock cooler - £40
Skt 1150 ITX Mobo - £45

Found the mobo for about £45, so not a huge difference here, the chip is slightly weaker than either of the other options, but it might be enough? Haswell has working 23.97 so that's not a worry.
I've heard mixed reports on whether this CPU will be enough to handle anything I throw at it 1080p/Hi10p however. Costs more than option 1.

3)
Haswell I3-4130 - these seem to go around £50-60 on Ebay, but may again require me to obtain a cooler.
Skt 1150 ITX Mobo - £45

OK this build should definitely have the power, BUT, at the highest outlay, and I can't really empathise enough that even the extra £10-20 over option 2 may make this harder to achieve in a reasonable time frame.
This would be the 'safe' option.

Thoughts everyone? Am I worrying too much that the cheapest option (1) wouldn't have enough power/just do that and add a GPU, or realistically would I be better off with option 2/3.

If I have to spend the extra to be happy, so be it, I just want to make the best advised option, as I'm going to be faced with an outlay any way I go here. I will also be trying to run this semi-passively/as quiet as I can, which is another area where the lower TDP/power-usage of Haswell may come in handy.

As a vaguely relevant aside originally I was going to go NUC when I got rid of my old HTPC, but alas other costs have become involved, and I cannot justify spending £300 on a media machine right now as originally planned.
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
your in luck, the HP 260 G1
right now its going around £73 using bespoke/cashback through ebuyer
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206958

same processor as the asus chromebox which can handle Hi10p
has less than 10w tdp
2gb fast ram
fast M.2 sata 32 gb storage
even trhows in free windows 8.1 (upgrade to 10)
can use your own usb for openelec or flash the fast M.2 sata to get boot time of 12 seconds
has the ability to turn of and on (full shutdown) using the maplin remote (£20)
spend £12 to get the additional sata cable and screws to add sata 3 drive!
very compact and virtual silent (as testified by many users)

this is the the box right now in UK, it should handle evrything you throw at it and its possibly the biggest bargain for kodi box like ever.
you could sell your components to even fund it.
read the first post for how to buy and all the guides and what not and ask on the thread. also this is the Haswell celeron and can handle everything except HEVC and 4k which you did not specify, you should be able to spend (£73+£12+£20+£4(adaptor) =£107) to get evrything you want.
Great price I must admit although out of stock. Little concerned the CPU will run out of juice on more demanding videos however?
i3-2100 /w Scythe Big Shuriken Cooler, 4GB RAM, GT430 Passive, 40GB SSD boot drive, 2TB 5400RPM internal media drive, 2TB external drive, Nexus 430W PSU, Nexus case fans

Feeding Yamaha RX-V1800, Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma, Mission 753/Quad speaker surround kit
Another option would be the Braswell N3150, e.g. ASRock N3150-ITX or N3150DC-ITX, initial tests have shown it can handle 1080p Hi10p, it's fairly cheap and as an extra it can hardware decode HEVC 8-bit (pending ffmpeg support).
(2015-08-25, 23:37)alexrose1uk Wrote: Great price I must admit although out of stock. Little concerned the CPU will run out of juice on more demanding videos however?

it's not an issue, there's a reason the Haswell 2955U has been the low-cost x86 solution of choice for the past 1.5yrs Smile

(2015-08-26, 00:09)oWarchild Wrote: Another option would be the Braswell N3150, e.g. ASRock N3150-ITX or N3150DC-ITX, initial tests have shown it can handle 1080p Hi10p, it's fairly cheap and as an extra it can hardware decode HEVC 8-bit (pending ffmpeg support).

agreed, esp since HEVC support is progressing quite nicely. I'd still hold off until 4Kp60 is settled, since it doesn't look like Braswell is going to be able to do it
Dang, knew there was a reason I felt a little the g1 was a little too good to be true; I'd looked into 2955u chips a while back and had run into instances/examples/reports where the 2955u wasn't enough to decode hi10p smoothly.

Admittedly this was usually with heavy film grain and such, but I really want this machine to handle virtually anything within reason, as mentioned in the OP I won't have the cash to redo the machine any time soon so need to get it right first time.

If anyone has any feedback on the options in OP or other options that'd be great.
Based on the opinion the 2955/2957u are often fine, I am thinking that option 2 with the g3250 (unless I get a good deal on an i3) may be the best option as it'll offer me far more solid headroom and more power to account for the future and realistically as I have RAM already it wont cost that much more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU/Build feedback, Hi10p0