Forwarding wlan0 to eth0 troubleshooting
So im not sure if im in the right place for anyone to know but im trying to use my old pi with raspbmc(xbmc) on it to act like kind of a router.. Done it a hundred times before on my laptop with debian so this should be easy.

I enabled ip forwarding "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward".

Then set my eth0 ipaddress to like 10.10.10.1. Set my winblows client to 10.10.10.2 etc etc.. I know the deal

Then run my iptables command "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE".

Should be all good but i get nothing clientside. Soo after scratching my head for a bit i installed dnsmasq todo my networking shiz for me.. After configing that and restarting the service i got it..

Or so i thought.. It didnt last but 30 secs and i relized something changed the ipadress of eth0 after being issued my setup. Thinking its something in the o/s and i have no idea how to bypass it. Help please.
I know that raspbmc has a preference for using ethernet over wifi, so that it is difficult to get them to work together - certainly if you boot, and you've made ethernet available, it won't activate wifi.
You might get something from a search of the old raspbmc forum - you could find a post on how to disable that mechanism.
HTH
Derek
Wifi is already fully working. And im up to date. Says kodi now when booting up but its basicly the same xbmc i remember using. I actually used ssh from my phone to the wlan0 ip to configure it to get this far. With the ethernet hooked up to the client pc the entire time.

Ifconfig eth0 shows what i want and works for less then a minute then returns to what looks like a ipv6 address and quits working.

I dont really want to swap o/s for something so simple.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forwarding wlan0 to eth0 troubleshooting0