help with watching kodi on tv
Have kodi installed on my laptop with windows 7.I have been told from some pc/electrical equipment outlets that I cannot connect to my tv because of there being no hdmi port on the laptop. I read differently on internet ie; an adaptor that plugs into usb port or chromecast or vga cable for video and audio cable to headphone port for sound. Any advice would be greatly appreciated to be able to get kodi content on my tv.
- VGA
- Mini Display
- DisplayPort
Some will require an active adapter because of the Digital vs Analogue conversion needed.

Which video output ports do you have on your laptop?
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
I have vga output and usb ports.
VGA to HDMI converter, round $10-$15

Unless your TV already has VGA in then no need
k4sh1n: That's no VGA to HDMI converter, its a DVI to HDMI converter!
While there are VGA to HDMI converters also, they are a bit more expensive.

Lots of TV's do have a VGA connector though so and if that's the case you are lucky.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Different connectors types:

Blue VGA, White DVI:

DVI connector types:
@ 'PH-SYM' Please count the number of pins for VGA (5) vs. DVI (8)
(2015-08-29, 11:32)PH-SYM Wrote: k4sh1n: That's no VGA to HDMI converter

Bro....you gotta hook it up with whatever your smoking!!!
Go into Kodi and turn on the output to your TV and it will work just fine. You have to turn it on in Kodi for your TV to work.
Thank you for all of the advice. Cant understand why I couldn't get same advice from the stockists of connector equipment.In fact, I was told just cannot do it and the technology does not exist.
So will VGA deliver sound too or do I need an audio cable, wondered if 2 inputs would lead to audio sync issues? Have seen the usb to hdmi adaptors for around £16 on line. The laptop is an older one, I am assuming the usb will be 2.0, but not sure. If went for that option would I have to be certain whetther it is the 2.0 or 3.0.
Also, was the advice to turn on TV in Kodi meant to mean after wired connection or to mean connect wirelessly?
Appreciate all and any advice.
If your TV has a hdmi input then what you want is something like http://www.cablematters.com/pc-309-79-ca...-feet.aspx
(2015-08-29, 12:35)k4sh1n Wrote: @ 'PH-SYM' Please count the number of pins for VGA (5) vs. DVI (8)

While you can buy those cable from eBay and irreputable outlets it simply not possible to go from analog VGA to digital HDMI in a simple cable.
I have a similar situation - an old x61 that won't charge a battery (I won't be leaving electronics on the edge of the bed while my wife's asleep in it again) so pretty much useless as a laptop. It's sat under my bedroom tv, connected via vga and audio cable, running openelec, controlled with usb IR. Works a treat.
There are no sync issues, no reason there would be.

Just out of interest which adapter where you looking at? When I looked (which was a good while ago) the cheap ones didn't look as if they'd work (from reviews) and I couldn't justify the cost of something that looked as if it might.

Edit: you haven't made it clear whether you have a vga input on your tv. Yes / no?
My PC connection is through a D sub 15 pin connector (Difficulty in seeing the connection as TV is wall mounted so info from TV manual )
The adapters I looked at were on Amazon. Suppliers there included cablematters company as advised by jjd-uk above.
So trogggy are you using Kodi successfully with your connection?
Yes. Absolutely. It runs very well.
If it runs on the laptop it will run on an external vga.

To be honest I think trying to run kodi via usb2 to hdmi is madness - it's an expensive solution and I doubt it would work well.
Get hold of a decent vga cable, spend a pound on an audio cable and try it. If you're not happy then think again about adapters - but if it were me at that point I'd just put the money into something else that's designed to run via hdmi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help with watching kodi on tv0